Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Test ISA Server to prevent DOS attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulesBirch

Technical User
Apr 20, 2002
GB
Hi

I have an ISA Server that I would like to test to ensure that it is correctly setup up and is not open to outside attacks -especially Denial of Service attacks.

Is there any freeware software or software available from Microsft than can do this?

Regards

Jules

Theres a lot of applications out there that can do what you want. The hard part is going to be handling the DoS attact. The normal way of doing this is Pinging the router until it's choked. No VPN/Firewall can stop this by itself.

Aye, there is nothing much you can do against DoS attacks. If someone wants to DoS you off the internet and they have enough bandwidth, they will succeed. It's incredibly unlikely you will be the victim of one though, unless you have some importance to the security industry etc.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Hi

Thanks for the info.

Do you know of any such utilities that will set up an attack?

I could set up a continuous ping to the Server but if it is set not to respond to ping then I guess I won't get anywhere.

What would be good is if I could find a utility that could sent continuous packets in different formats

Regards

Jules

Well the router still has to drop the packets, so even pings that aren't responded to will have an effect. I'm not immediately aware of any software for DoSsing but a quick search on Google will definitely get yuo results. I'd probably make sure I scanned any downloads from those sorts of sites though ;)

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back