Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal users - Can't add printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamhutton

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
Help,

I'm having difficulty with users being able to add printers when they login to a terminal server.

I know the ts has the correct drivers installed. When I logon with an account that has a Power User priv level the printers connect fine.

Is there a setting anywhere I'm missing to allow normal users to add a printer?

Thanks in advance, Adam

I'm no real guru in terminal services but I believe that the Terminal Server clients should have access to thier LOCAL printer when connecting to a Terminal Server Session.

The ability to map a printer, when connected to terminal server, will not work for normal users.

If a term user needs the ability to map printers, the administrator should first set these printer up on the terminal server. Only once, the network printer is setup, the user can map to it.

HEre is some info:
maybe it will help....maybe it won't ...again...not too sure about this.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Jpoandl is correct. Map them once on a admin account then they will be available for all your users.

Actually I figured it out, I was trying to use mandatory profiles for groups of users. It works if I use individual mandatory profiles, but not if multiple people use the same man profile.

Kind of wierd..oh well, it seems to be working fine now.

Another tip for TS'd printing is to ensure the driver names are the same. The TS Server needs the same printer driver in order to map it. Check the event logs and you should see why TS failed to map the users local printers.

Nathan aka: zaz (zaznet)
zaz@zaz.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back