Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmongr

MIS
Mar 17, 1999
US
Anyone know of a system setting that will terminate a terminal session after a duration of time?

War

Sorry, just having fun.

Which terminal software are you speaking of? There are tons of software products that create terminal sessions.

Also, are you in XWindows/X11 or pure text terminal session?

What do you want to happen at the timeout?

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Thanks thedaver. Must have been a post-good-coffee moment. I guess my post was a little vague however at the time it made perfect sense to me. Here are some more specifics.

If logged in to a session in run level 3 with no activity for a predefined period of time, the session will terminate and return the session to a log in prompt.

For XWindows/X11 a screensaver with a requirement for a password to continue working will meet the requirement. Also ssh sessions can be configured with parameters in the sshd config.

Thanks,
N

Look for an environment variable [tt]TMOUT[/tt]. Some shells use this to timeout sessions. If it is set to say 300, the session will log itself out after 5 minutes of inactivity (300 seconds = 5 minutes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back