Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcooney

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2005
US
Our old Opt 11 dumb terminal just bit the dust. We have connected a PC using a very nonstandard terminal emulation package -- emulating VT220. Unfortunately because of internal software distribution issues, we can not load any other emulation software.

The PBX works fine, but when going to the Mer Mail side, the screen paints nicely but the soft keys do not work (I believe they are normally F6-F10). Does anyone have the key mappings for the keys so I could change the existing key definitions and have the F6-F10 keys map as the local supporter is used to?

Is it possible the "working" keys would start at F1?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Any way to set that up to auto detect vs. VT220?

It's been a long while since I looked mermail on a terminal emulation but I seem to recall my soft keys started at F5. What I am positive I don't remember is if there was any extra key mapping done to get that to work because it was like that when I got there. But my terminal emulation (SMarterm v10, in case you wondered) did have a software keyboard that I could pull up and it worked just like the vt keyboard with all the same keys and the soft keys were in the right place.

My set-up then was Switch TTY port went to a Lantroinix terminal server and I would use the telnet connection in Smarterm to get to the lantronix. I know that doesn't help much if you can't get any other software but at least you know it can be done and there's a good chance your software has a similar way to do it...

If I remember back in the mail days, it will start at F1, but anything past f5 started at I think f9 or f10. That was using hyperterm.

Try F1 thru F5. Usually F1-F4 will work, but F5 will not. Map F5 as ^[[21~

I have been using Procom to emulate a terminal for MerMail. In Procom the soft keys map to F1 thru F5 no problem, so I would guess your emulator should start at F1.

Is your computer plugged in? Is the monitor turned on?

I use procomm to on my MM13 we still have here in Okinawa,
F1=^[OP
F2=^[OQ
F3=^[OR
F4=^[OS
F5=^[[21~

Also some times the back space doesn't work for MSM on emulators so you can use
Backspace=^H

You should have a keyboard editor in most emulator software.

SL-100 Tek

Why don't you use a standard program like Hyperterm, it comes with Windows.

PROCOMM is easier to use for script running and for capturing, especially when I'm working on 2 SL-100's and 2 Meridian 1's. It also lets me save customized keyboard setting I can switch to at the click of a mouse.

And I can save a connection directory to cover my telnet, modem, IOM, TTY, and anything else. I choose those from a drop down menu also. PROCOMM is overall more managable and easier to use once set up.

SL-100 Tek

He stated he can not load any other simulator software, so Procomm is out of the scenario, but he could check for Hyperterm as Ace suggested, maybe his desktop group did not remove it from the install.

I am trying to set up and test nortel PBX phones using Maredian Option 11c. I have all the cards and they system setup and I am at the point where i need help on connecting a PC with hyperterminal using the serial port and use command to test Nortel 2000 and 3000 series PBX phones. Please help me or guide to the test process and commands. Also, if you can give me the connection guidance between the PC and the Opt 11c system. I have the Cable with Modem terminator, a cable with Telephone RJ ports and a PC ready to connect.

Thanks;

jaffers@telemansys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back