Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfgu

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2001
US
Hello, I'm having trouble printing in termial services.
I'm running 2000 advanced server with terminal services. The clients are running windows xp and have a HP 4100n on a network with workgroup settings. When they log into Terminal services, they cannot see their printer. I was told that I just had to install the driver for XP into the 2000 server, but it seems that it's still not working.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

In terminal services configuration. Then click on the connections folder and in the right hand box appears RDP-Tcp. Right click on it and go to properties. Then go to Client Settings. Then CHECK the box Windows Printer Mapping. Hit ok. This will map whatever printer is installed on their PC to thier TS session. All users will ahve to log off then back on for this. With this you do not need drivers I believe. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

sorry.. that didn't seem to work.. Some printers are actually even missing now...

You may check it out in the event log. If it is a driver issue, there will be a message in the system log to ask you to install the driver.

Actually I did similar thing before. But I installed the printer driver for Win2K in the server instead of XP and it worked.

Also, in the client settings page in Properties, you should UNCHECK the Windows Printer Mapping Option or it will DISABLE printing mapping.

However, if it is a network printer, thing will be more tricky. On the client computer, you have to map the network printer to a local printer port first, for example, LPT3.

Hope this help.

If this printer is not connected directly(lpt Port) to the terminal clients computer the client software will not create it apon login. I assume this is a network printer(Has its own NIC card), if this is the case you must install the printer on the terminal server and then give your terminal users permissions to it. Then when they login they should see the printer.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back