Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services won't show screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamous

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2001
US
At work on the LAN this works. Terminal Services pops up the logon screen for the server.

At home, through our VPN, I get no error, but a black screen and then TS times out on the connection. This worked before. Our NetAdmin can't figure it out either. We check to make sure nothing was blocking certain IPS or anything.

Any ideas?

Have you ensured that the RAS permissions are correct for the user? If the Term Serv`s work fine from inside the RAS server then it has to be the users settings. Also check the users Terminal Services settings with regards to remote access. Adrian Jordan
MCSE,CCEA,CCNA

I have full admin permissions. When you say "User's settings" are you talking about the "users" applet where you create and delete Users and Groups? Those are fine also. I have the ability to do everything. - God Mode.

We will double check this though.

Hi

To make this work you need to achieve two things.

1 - Get your machine to connect and be accepted by the server (using TCP/IP).

2 - Establish a Terminal Services session.

Test if you are achieving (1) by establishing a dial-up session and mapping a drive from your workstation to the server. Test your TCP/IP connection by using the PING command from the command prompt.

If you cannot achieve the above check your Server RAS Settings.

If you can achieve the above and you do not get a Terminal Services login screen then check your Terminal Services Licences, and event log.

If you can achieve the above, you get a terminal services login screen, but you cannot connect, then check Users settings in User Manager.

Regards

Sadcow

thanks for the help

1) I can connect with the Server. I can see into mapped drives and such. I can ping all of the "boxes".

2) Lately I have notice a degredation of the speed of my VPN. My mail client Outlook is sluggish when talking to Exchange. There is no emperical data, just seems to have lost the snap and pop it used to have at home (In case your wondering. We only have about two - three people VPN in at anyone time.)

3) I start Terminal Services and click on the appropriate icon to bring up that server - and nada, nothing just a black screen then 20-30 secs a timeout - "Terminal Services as terminated the session"

4) I am currently connected on the "inside" of the LAN and TS works fine.

5) This just started recently. Did I possibly screw up the registry, I was doing some tweaking 90 days back.

Thanks,

Rusty

Rusty

It could be your VPN configuration.

Terminal Services uses specific TCP/IP ports for communication. The communication is via the RDP Protocol.

I think the port used is 3389.

If your VPN blocks this, Terminal Services will not work.

Regards

Mike Mike Watson
Providing Systems and Software for you
- Software for Banking
- Systems for the Power Industry

I have the same exact issue right now with one of my clients. I have found some information relating to this with the transmission size of the packets going over the network. See the link below. I have not been able to test these registry changes on the client machine yet because the machine is at the user's home.

Let me know if it works.

--Steve

What device do you have infront of the of the Terminal server. I have had cases where there was a build up of some sort on the device (router,wireless bridge..etc) where I just unpluged that device for a minute or two, plugged it back in and bam I had my desktop again. It worked for me so I hope that it does for you. I was having the same problem you were. One day I was fine and dandy the next all I got was black screen and dissconnected. Try it and let me know.

Hi, all of you, have had great ideas. Its makes me sad to report that I have tried everything short of reinstalling Win2k or TS on my systems. TS still doesn't work.

Black Hole Theory.
While at my home, I turned off my DSL Modem/Router and my other hub. Turned them back on, logged back in and still nothing. At work, if I touch the Netopia it will knock 50 people of the database, so I will have to wait until the weekend.

I was able to ping the server easily. ping -l 1472 -n 192.168.1.21 replied fast, with out a hickup.

I am still scratching my head on this one.

Is there anything that my ISP could have done to shut this down?

-rusty

I would hold off on the reinstall and recycle the power to the Netopia. Unplug from the wall for a few minutes. If you can run a session from inside the Netopia on the local network I am going to bet that the Netopia is the culprit here. Best of Luck and have a good weekend. I have never ran across a ISP that doesn't allow TS which is port 3389. That should port should be open on the router and forwarded to the Win2k TS. I am sure you have that done already but just making sure.

Stop the presses. I just realized that other programmers in the office were not having this problem. This was on my own home box.

I realized that this started recently. I seems that I had installed a CISCO VPN client(in addition to the MS one). This was to be used in testing attachment to a Main Frame.

It seems that this particular VPN was limiting what I could do. If any of you have any idea why it could block, please let me know.

The short story is that I uninstalled all of that software and now everything seems to work the way it was suppose to.

Thanks for all of your attempts.

Rusty

I would hold off on the reinstall and recycle the power to the Netopia. Unplug from the wall for a few minutes. If you can run a session from inside the Netopia on the local network I am going to bet that the Netopia is the culprit here. Best of Luck and have a good weekend. I have never ran across a ISP that doesn't allow TS which is port 3389. That should port should be open on the router and forwarded to the Win2k TS. I am sure you have that done already but just making sure.

Sorry bout the double post :> I am glad you're back up and running. I don't know why the other VPN client would be doing any blocking though.

Well it did and I'm glad I figured it out. It was also making Outlook to weird things. Thanks for your help.

Are you on the East or West Coast (International?)

Rusty

I am right in the middle of the U.S.

Merry Christmas,
Dustin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back