Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services very slow displaying / scrolling / responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavm99

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I'm struggling to get to the bottom of this one.

We have a Windows 2008 Server being used for Terminal Services by 5 users. The hardware spec is above and beyond what is required, and the processor usage is low, with plenty of free RAM.

The problem is loading Internet Explorer graphical websites, scrolling webpages and PDFs and lagging whilst typing Word Documents and Emails.

I've tried a few things already, here is what I've tried:

1) Played around with the MTU
2) Turned off 'Smooth' options in Adobe
3) Turned off themes and minimised other RDP settings
4) Tried using Ericom Blaze
5) Applied Windows Updates
6) Rebooted the server
7) Tried it just with a single user

Any ideas what else I can try?

Thanks.

Gavin Moorhouse

Follow me on Twitter

If you log on to the TS directly is it still slow? If not, then I'd check the bandwidth and client specs, particularly graphics, to start with.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Check the connection configuration and on the Experience tab ensure that you're using the correct connection type. If you are working over the Internet and you have selected LAN then you will probably have issues. Also, be aware that browsing web sites can provide a widely varying experience, especially if those sites contain rich media.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

1) Played around with the MTU"
Have you played around with the MTU from the server side and the remote sides. Pathping from both ends, you should have few if any lost packets in either direction, if you do the MTU is not correct on one of the ends. Other possibilities malware, memory leak, incorrect Nic properties, ISPs getting in the way, brower addons interference, SMB version setting SMB 2.0 vs SMB 3.0 (
old office versions dislike SMB 3). Lastly, SMB signing settings ( totally different issue then SMB version issue).

Have you logged on as a user which has not used the RDP before, as in a new clean profile.

Try the 56k modem experience setting. I assume you have no "all in one" printer/scanner/fax printers installed

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Directly inside TS is fine, as is using it over a single client PPTP VPN from another site.

technome - what your saying about the MTU and pathping sounds like it's worth checking out. Can you please give me more details please?

Gavin Moorhouse

Follow me on Twitter

MTU settings varies with the machine/ISP involved, so if local and remotes have differences, MTU can vary. If you run pathping, either to a known server, or a website (with non intrusive routers= not involved in purposely dropping packets or a congested site), you may get a couple lost packets, but not >10% optimally. I just pathpinged google, lost 1 packet, which is pretty good for google, had worse from the site. Pathpinged Verizon DNS server 4.2.2.5, got 2 packet loss (not bad) varies as to routers you go through. Pathping will show routers which drop packets. Don't try to get zero losses. With RDP, heavy packet losses can affect RDP speed, connection ability, and disconnects.

Pathping 4.3.3.5
pathping google.com

TCP Optimiser does a good job on optimizing parameter, be careful running this on servers, had no issues but save your present setting within the program before optimizing. Will give optimised MTU setting.
Again with printers, just install the basic driver, not added fluff software.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back