Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services User unable to access Desktop since Home & Profiles folders moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech2020

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
GB
Hi All,

We are currently moving terminal services users home and profile folders from their current files servers to a new central file server. The process of moving them is simple, we just backup the users home and profile folders on their current file server and restore the folders on the new file server and change their home and profile paths in their AD accounts. I've moved about 150 or so terminal users so far without any problems.

However this week two users have reported that they couldn't open some folders on their desktops after I have moved them to the new file server. When they try and open these folders it does nothing and no error message appears. If they try and create a new folder on their desktop they get the following error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder' The ystem cannot find the file specified". If I add the users into the domain admins group they can open the folders and create new folders on their desktops.

So I thought it must be a permissions problem on the users home or profile folders maybe they got corrupt in the backup/restore process. so I tried the following.

Removed and re-added the permission on the users home and profiles folders.
Renamed the users restored home and profiles folders and re-created them from scratch.
Both of the above didn't work.

Double check the folder redirection policy and these are redirecting to the correct locations.

I then created a new users based on one of the effected users and the new users had the same problem however when I created a new user from scratch they don't have the problem. So I'm thinking maybe there is something in their AD Account which is the problem I've checked but can't see anything wrong. Could there be some cache information which it point back that the old file server?

I think the next stepvmaybe to delete the users AD account and home and profile folders then re-create them in AD.

O nearly forgot we are running Windows Active Director and the Terminal Servers and Old File Servers are Windows 2003 and the New Files Server is Windows 2008. The folder direction point the users desktop and my documents to a users home folder on the files server.

Thanks

Hi, I know you said you have done it loads of time but have you checked those affected users Terminal service profile path tab?

Can they access the contents of their home drive? Can they save docs directly in that drive?

Does the My Document folder redirect to the users home folder?

Do they have the right windows and citrix policies applied to them as the other working users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back