Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services - remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

leyland

Technical User
Nov 21, 2002

On setting up a terminal services connection to a W2003 server for remote management it works but asks me to log off the existing user who is logged onto the server. I don't want to do this - is there any way around it without installing the full TS on the machine?

Many Thanks in advance!

The Admin mode of TS allows for two connections. But, there are two ways to connect. You can connect using what I will call a regular session (2 connections allowed) or you can connect with the console option (only 1 console allowed). You would usually get two types errors.
1. error 1 - something about out of license. This indicates that two sessions are active. Admin mode will not allow a thrid connection.
2. error 2 - the error you are getting means that you are attempting to connect using the console and either two sessions are still active or someone else is connected to the console.

So try connecting without using the console option (check box it using "remote desktops") or servername /console (don't use the /console switch).

Leyland, what is prob happening is that someone is logged on to the console (either directly or via RDP) and probably you are also logging on to the console via RDP also which is why you are being prompted. Try using a standard admin RDP connection

great help chaps - that sorted it!

many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back