Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services RDC Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP69

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2003
GB
Does anyone know why the Remote Desktop Connection client will allow you to save passwords in W2k/XP but not in WinNT/98.

I suspect is is some sort of certificate problem, but can't find anything about it on any boards or technet.

The way it normally works is that you enter the name of the server, login name and domain, there is a further field for the password and a save my password option. In Win98/NT this is greyed out, but in XP/W2k you can enter the password and save the session as an icon on the users desktop.

Any ideas?

AJ

Hey
the RDP client only supports 2000/xp machines
nothing below that , m$ just gave it the possibility to connect but seeing its bases on newer so called technology
RDP and not the old terminal server client , it will only support 2k/xp ,
u can always use the old client which although doesnt look as good .. does a pretty good job in small to medium networks ,
the RDP client is supposed to be the next step in the 2003 terminal services as the speed is supposed to be great
havent tried 2k3 yet but i have a bunch of 2k servers AD
running both the RDP and the old faithful term client

hope it helped

Dov
MCSE
Ramat Gan College Israel

Hi Thanks for your reply, however, according to Microsoft this is written specifically for those older machines. (see PS below)

The RDC connects at about the same speed, it has more flexible bandwidth config and better printer support. It has been around since 2001.

So, the question is, are all of your users W2kPro or do you have any W98/NT4? If so how do you get it so save the password.

Many thanks for your help

AJ

Remote Desktop Connection Software Download

This software package will install the client portion of Remote Desktop on any of the following operating systems: Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT® 4.0, or Windows 2000. (This is the same verion of the client software as in Windows XP Service Pack 1.) When run, this software allows older Windows platforms to remotely connect to a computer running Windows XP Professional with Remote Desktop enabled.

This package provides flexible deployment options of the full Terminal Services Client, including auto–repair through Windows Installer technology and application publishing via IntelliMirror™ management technologies or Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS).

Note The Remote Desktop Connection software is pre-installed with Windows XP. To run it, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform. To install from the CD, insert the disc into the target machine's CD-ROM drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and then click Install Remote Desktop Connection.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

If it is a problem with certificates, does anyone know a way to egt them for 98/NT?

Cheers

AJ

Could it be because win95/98 cannot encrypt passwords the way that Win2k/xp does, and that this option has been disabled by design?

Just a thought

/T

Thanks for your reply

That is what I thought and for NT too, that is why I suggested that it was to do with certificates. 2000 and above are the only ones that have proper security that can be encrypted with a certificate. NT security can be overcome by taking ownership and 98/95 has none anyway.

Does anyone know if MS has a secure certificate service that can be added on to W98/NT in the same way that the RDC is an XP bolt on for these old OS's.

AJ

You guys are barking up the wrong tree.
It's simply a pointer in the registry.
savepassword=1 instead of 0
Post the hive location once you find it...

Encryption may be the REASON why it's defaulted as NO SAVE in a 98 install but it's one EXE for all OS platforms.
You CAN save it you just have to enable the option in REG

Thanks GOTROOT for your reply

Interesting suggestion, do you have any idea where this "savepassword" option may be located in the registry or are you just guessing?

AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back