Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbyrne

MIS
Jun 21, 2002
GB
Please bare with me on this, i'll try an explain it the best I can....

We have 6 W2K Terminal Servers (Compaq DL360), all have SP3 and all the latest Windows Updates on. We have 3 DCs for the Domain, again all SPd and Updated. The Terminal Servers are running Microsoft Office XP (with XP SP2 installed) Lotus Notes 5.0.11, Internet Explorer 6 (with IE6 SP1) and Adobe Acrobat 5.05.
We have an all singing all dancing server which stores the user's data, profiles and home drives (all redirection setup via Active Directory)
ALL of the users are in the same domain as the servers and are running Microsoft Windows NT.
Each Terminal Server has approx. 40 users logging on to it. They have 2gb of memory in and 2 gb processors.
They are using Compaq NC3163 Fast Ethernet NIC network adapters.

Now for the problem: Users sessions just seem to go dog slow occasionally. We have found a way around this where we get the user to log off TS and then rename their profile, when they log back on a new profile is created for them and they can then work fine. Some users we have had to do this for once, some twice, some numerous times and some none.

Does anyone know why this happens? The users do not get any error messages, it just goes slow and if they wait long enough it does seem to come back to life.
The 'hanging' seems to mainly occur in either Lotus Notes or Microsoft Word (although this may be because that is what our users use the majority of the time). We did find a registry entry to put on the servers as originall ALL users would hang in Notes if more than 6 users used the server.

We do monitor the server and network performance, and there doesn't seem to be any bottlenecks.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back