Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjay66

Technical User
Oct 31, 2005
Hi,

I use Remote Desktop Connection (from my WINXP) station to connect to my WIN2K Server machine (in another part of town) which uses Terminal Services. It works great 75% of the time. The problem is that 25% of the other time, I cannot connect to it because it tells me that the WIN2K server has "timeouted" and I cannot connect to it. I have to literally go to the WIN2K server (drive 100 miles) and physically reboot the machine. It seems to be a timeout issue with regards to Terminal Services on the WIN2K machine because the machine itself is not down, it's just the service/machine that I cannot connect to it. I really need to have access to the machine 100% of the time. Is there anbody that can help me resolve this problem please. It's extremely important.

Many Thanks in advance,
JJ

When you drive there, is your terminal services service running?

If not reconfigure the service to start automatically.

Matt

Hi,

The service is configured to "Start Automatically". Any other suggestions. Please help.

Thanks,
JJ

Can anyobdy help me with this ??

Please help

Thanks,
JJ

Jayjay, what Matt was getting at is whether or not the service is still running when you get there, not how it is set to start.

If you open services and double click on the terminal services option, under Recovery you can see what options the service has should it fail. If the service is falling over and that is what gives you the timeout, then you could set the first action to be restart the service, then the second to be restart the computer. Also check the RPC service as TS depends on it.

If it's not the service, I would look at the network card properties in the remote server, and make sure it's not powering down on some powersave mode or similar. I had an issue with handhelds that were doing this. Can you ping the machine when you are getting the timeout messages?

HTH

Mike

Hi,

OK, I've disabled the "powersaver" mode on the network card, but that doesn't seem to help because it just went down again. I cannot ping it. It's "request time out" when I try to ping.

This is crazy. Please help.

thanks,
jj

JJ, which network card did you check - I'm talking about the remote card.

If you can't ping it then the connection may have gone down one side or the other. Can you ping other remote computers when your connection has gone to the remote server? The fact it works when you have rebooted the remote server suggests all is OK at the local end though.

Also just check that when the remote server is definitely up (i.e. you have a TS session running) that it DOES respond to pings, otherwise it may just be that your router / firewall does not respond to ping requests!

One other thing I have seen work is a batch file, scheduled to perform some net activity every 5 minutes, which keeps the net connection open.

When you get to the remote server, does it have full net functionality? Can you ping back to the local? Open a TS session to the local?

I'm off now (UK time...) I hope you get somewhere, I'll check back in the a.m!

Hi,

Yes, I'm talking about the remote card. I cannot ping the remote (WIN2K) server anymore. This doesn't make sense that the computer goes down like that. Any suggestions. ANybody please.

thanks,jj

It is possible that your network card is going bad.

-SWarrior

Use the Pathping commend.
Pathping "remote server IP"
Will take a bit, but the interface (router, firewall,network interface) where it stops is the problem.
Since your able to ping sometimes, perhaps you have a device in between which is dropping a great deal of packets or a port on the network is flooded with errors. Fix this first.

After you get a ping response....
If you get many lost packets using the util below (MTU test), using the remote server's IP, you will need to adjust the MTU on your routers with

Run the MTU test from both ends to the remotes, broadband lines can vary.

Really cheap Ethernet/modem power controller, more economical than 100 mile trips.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back