Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services Printing in W2K3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoratti

Technical User
Aug 11, 2005
US
The following link was given when I searched an Event ID in the Microsoft KB.

Is this still prevelant in W2K3? If a client has a locally attached printer and a driver installed, when they connect to a TS does the TS and client have to have the same instance of print driver in order for the TS to pick it up.

I would be sure the client pc had to have the print driver installed, in order to communicate with the printer. Or does the print server on the TS send the job directly to the printer?

the print drivers need to be installed on the terminal server. You may need to make sure that this is installed by an administrator as with our build users are prevented from installing print drivers

Yes I know they need to be on the TS but does the same instance of driver have to be on the client too?

I do believe TS does match printer drivers. I've seen somewhere an article about hacking .INF files to fool TS printing.

However, that should be obviated with 2003 Server SP1. There is a new TS Group Policy for Fallback Printer Driver Behaviour. Basically allows you to specify to use generic PCL or PostScript if the specific matching printer driver isn't found.

See the first link at:

What are the steps for installing a printer that is attached locally to a pc and is using RDP to a terminal server

Grab the drivers for 2003. If there isn't one, grab the XP driver.

On the TS box, go into properties, click FILE>SERVER PROPERTIES, and go to the DRIVERS tab. Click ADD and install the drivers there. DO NOT GO THROUGH THE ADD PRINTER WIZARD.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back