Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services - Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSys

Programmer
Jul 10, 2001
US
Just setup W2K SP4 server and added to existing domain. Installed Terminal Services in Remote Administration mode.
Using Terminal Services Manager from either server I can see each server.
The Remote PC can still only connect to the primary server not my new one.
I thought I could just install Terminal Services and be done. I checked RDP protocol permissions and even added Everyone with Full Access, still no luck.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

i believe if the terminal server is in administration mode that only users with admin rights can connect.
what errors are you getting when trying to connect to the new terminal server?

Nick

If I remember right, the users have to me members of the Remote Desktop Users group.

Bill

If I remember right, the users have to be members of the Remote Desktop Users group.

Bill

There was an article on MS Knowledge base about this a while back (can't find it now I want it...)

Try deleting the RDP connection in Terminal Services Connection Configuration and recreating it using the defaults (except remember to set protocol to TCP - it defaults to asynch!).

Apparently it's "As Designed" in SP4 (now where is that doc...).

Note: Users only need to be in the Remote Desktop Users group in Windows 2003 Server.

Hope this does the trick

One poster already stated this and is correct. You need the put the server in application mode and add the users to the terminal server users group. Remote adminstration mode is for just what it states. You must be a local admin to logon. If you want to still have a non admin user be able to logon you can edit certain group policies to make it work, such as "log on locally".

Thanks everyone for getting back to me.
The error I'm getting (after successfully attaching on VPN).
Remote Desktop Disconnected
The client could not connect to the remote computer.

I have no problems when I Remote Desktop from the internal network. I cannot Remote when on the WAN.
I do not have any problems attaching to my other servers on the same net.

Thanks for the MS tip. I did try deleting the connection and recreating but no help....Aargh.

I checked the Permissions and they're fine and I have been using Administrator account for testing.
HELP!

Sounds as though you could be having DNS issues. Try and keep everything to IP if you can to simplify connectivity problems and troubleshoot each step if necessary.

you say you could only connect to one server earlier, can you now connect to both when on the internal Lan ?

To clarify, I can connect to my other servers internally and externally via VPN.
From the new server I can only connect internally.
You may be on to something...I looked up the DNS record and found a wrong IP address in Reverse Lookup Zone. Deleted the IP address but
I CAN Remote Desktop from the WAN if I use the IP address. Thanks for the heads up on that one.
Any ideas how to get the name to work?

you'll need to troubleshoot each dns step you have, look at the dns entries you have and then look at the records in each dns server you have if you can. If this doesnt solve it then you'll need to go to the next level up in terms of your dns structure if necessary

if your really struggling, you can just add it to your hosts file !

I had a similar problem. Win2k server with ts and I can connect to it when I'm on the lan but not on the wan even though my firewall had port 3389 open to the server. Only after activating ts was I able to us ts from the wan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back