Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeWhoRoams

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2005
US
I have users who have terminal services profiles setup in Windows 2003 active directory.

These users typically login to thin clients, and everything is great. The problem lies when they login to windows XP desktops.

They end up loggin in 'terminally', which prevents me from doing a few things.

just removin the terminal services profile doesn't seem to correct the problem.

is there something I'm missing? Can I get users to login with a terminal services profile just from thin clients? Or even just not on windows XP machines?

Set up the users with a roaming profile in AD, then put them in their own little organizational unit (why the fancy name for 'folder?') and then block inheritance on that folder.
I have it set up that way. The users log into terminal services and they dont have junk for rights, then they log into an XP box and they have slightly more rights, such as viewing mapped drives and stuff.

Not sure if I completely understand what you mean

Ok, so I have them with a roaming profile in AD, but I want them to use local profiles on desktops (hmm now that I think about it, theres no reason for that, but still)

Not sure how that blocked inheritance fixes that?

Can I ask a question or two? I have some sites where users both logon to desktops in the office, and work off of a terminal server remotely. What I do is create 2 sets of users. For example, let's say I have user Bob, I create bob for the office, bobterm for the terminal server.
I then take all the terminal users, put them in their own group, and apply a group policy to only them. That gives me the restrictions I want. I then make it so that only administrators and that terminal users group have access to the rdp connection on the terminal server, thereby eliminating the possiblity of people logging on with the office username, remotely. Is basically what I am doing a workaround for what you are experiencing (which is user's can't work right on their desktops because of group policy restrictions)?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back