Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal services Licesing problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagatymoty

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2002
IL
Hi All

how can I move license from client to anther client?

in serminal services licensing i can see all client that issued

Thank's in advance
moty

Hi... sadly you cannot. Even if you "uninstall" the license from one machine... it is manually built into the Terminal Services Server application. Once you add a licence for a specific machine, that's it. People have complained about this because they buy say 10 licences to use on a test network, and are stuffed to use those licenses after the test network has been uninstalled for other use... they have to buy 10 more licenses at far too much a cost in order to compensate.
We are looking at using Metaframe and TS on our network, and luckily met someone who knew this before we bought any licenses. It is the reason why you can use Terminal Services without licences for 90 days.

Will

Actually you can either call microsoft to re-issue your license server, or you can download a patch from Microsoft that will expire your TS licenses every 90 days, and then you can reissue them.

Dev

I'd be happy if Dev is right about this, but it conflicts with what I have heard... MS may re-issue licences, but the old licence is still on the server (you cannot delete), and your software audits, if you read MS fine print on those annoying EULAs states you have to show purchase proof for every licence. I re-checked with my friend on this. But I certainly think it would be much nicer the way Dev says, and I buy into that idea... I just don't think that's all she wrote. Best to contact MS and make sure (don't rely on your reseller who may not have read the EULA, and may be going by hearsay and common sense, which is NOT ,ms li- sense).

Of course, I just re-read Dev's reply about re-issuing the licence SERVER (as opposed to re-issuing just the licence which I was assuming above), and patching... I imagine this would be very hairy for an organisation or service provider with several thousand access licences... but it does sound like MS have started trying to fix the problem I mentioned above.

Will

PS - How do you spell license, anyway???

I'd be happy if Dev is right about this, but it conflicts with what I have heard... MS may re-issue licences, but the old licence is still on the server (you cannot delete), and your software audits, if you read MS fine print on those annoying EULAs states you have to show purchase proof for every licence. I re-checked with my friend on this. But I certainly think it would be much nicer the way Dev says, and I buy into that idea... I just don't think that's all she wrote. Best to contact MS and make sure (don't rely on your reseller who may not have read the EULA, and may be going by hearsay and common sense, which is NOT ms li- sense).

Of course, I just re-read Dev's reply about re-issuing the licence SERVER (as opposed to re-issuing just the licence which I was assuming above), and patching... I imagine this would be very hairy for an organisation or service provider with several thousand access licences... but it does sound like MS have started trying to fix the problem I mentioned above.

Will

PS - How do you spell license, anyway???

Will,

You may be correct about the re-loading of the license server, I had to wipe mine TS out and reload for another reason, but then called Microsoft for a new license since that one was registered to the old setup and they gave me a new number. I then loaded the fix and everything has been fine since.

Here is the link and information / patch I was referring to.

IMPORTANT: This hotfix must be applied to all Terminal Servers and Terminal Services Licensing Servers. Only TS CAL tokens that are issued after the application of this hotfix will utilize re-issuance logic.
The updated files to correct the problem that is described in this article are superceded by files provided through the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article and included in Security Update MS01-52. For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

No problem, always glad to try and help. I know these boards have definetly helped me.

Dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back