Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

terminal services isn't working??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i have Terminal Services behind a Netgear RO318 Security Router. the router is dhcp server and the Terminal Server has a static ip that is in the same subnet. i port forwarded port 3389 to the Terminal Server. i cannot connect through the internet but i can within the network by both name and static ip from any desktop using the remote desktop connection feature? the server is configured as remote admin mode and i will be the only one connecting. i have not configured anything else on the server (ts related) what did i do wrong and suggestions??

oh yeah forgot to mention that my internet connection is based on dsl modem with a dynamic ip, i know the ip of the public network but is this part of the problem??

If you have a dynamic IP address then I assume your router is running NAT. That said, in order to reach your terminal services and also assuming that the port forwarding is configured correctly, you will need to know your public IP address. This is the IP that you need to reach in order to access terminal services from the Internet. The router will accept the packet from the public side, look at the port number, then forward to the appropriate server on the private side. If packets incoming uses a port you did not specify in your port forwarding the packet is discarded. That is how NAT port forwarding works.

This presents a problem for your situation. Since you have a dynamic IP address assignment your public IP address will change everytime you connect with your ISP. Therefore in order to reach your terminal services from the Internet you will need to know that IP address everytime it changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back