Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

terminal services hanging when word doc is opened

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmsbony

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2001
GB
Strange problem,

we have a windows 2000 server running terminal services and one user seems to every few weeks cause the server to hang when opening a word document(office 2000). The problem tends to go as follows:

1. User opens word document
2. Word and any other office application except outlook on that terminal hang
3. all other users have their office application hang

The only way out of this is to reboot the servers by turning it off at the power switch. Reboots from the OS itself do not work.

The documents that cause the problem all seem to be template based and the problem is only caused with one user. I believed this may have been due to a corrupt profile so deleted it and created a new one. this seemed to solve the problem for a while but it has recently returned.

Thinking it may have been something to do with the field codes and macros in the document template I removed them all and got the user to try it again and it still caused problems.

A check of the event logs reveal no problems with either the server running terminal services or the file server where the document resides so I am stumped. I have not come across this problem on newsgroups or the web.

Any help would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back