Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal services client connects to wrong server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucous

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
US

Hi,

I'm using the terminal services client at home on my Win98 computer to connect to my home win2k server as well as our office win2k server. Came home tonight and tried to connect to the office as usual. Clicked on the office connection and the logon appeared. After trying to connect and getting the check password message, I typed in the password for my local server and got right in. The problem is that the connection is configured for the remote server at the office. I have a seperate icon for the local one. I deleted both connections in the connection manager and created a new one for the office again and tried to log on once more only to have the same thing happen. Now, I am unable to connect to the office. Even though the connection shows the office IP, it keeps going to my local server. Anyone know what the deal is with this? Thanks as always for your help

Is there any chance of the Office server and the Local server having the same IP Address?

Heh heh...No, both servers are on different IP addresses. I've also deleted and re-created the connection at least 5 times, each time verifying that I'm using the correct IP. I am dumbfounded by this, not to mention I can no longer manage the office server. It just keeps connecting to my home server even though it shows the IP for the office server. Strange...

Need to get this straight pretty soon!

Thanks for your reply!

As a diagnostic step try stopping the "Terminal services" service on your home computer and see what happens. If IP is correct and your not using names (DNS out of the picture)this might shed some light on the problem.

Stel

Stel,

I'm at work right now, but will give that a try when I get home tonight. Great idea. If Terminal services aren't running on the home server, then maybe it can "see" past my server. I have another thought...Could it be my home router is not set to forward TS requests out? I recently upgraded the firmware and had to do some reconfiguring to get my websites up. I didn't think about TS at the time, but now I'm thinking that may be the case. I forget if I had to do that before the firmware upgrade to get it running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back