Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Services and Local Printing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkoh

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2002
US
Hey guys, I need some help...I've searched all threads for the resolution but I have not found the solution. Here goes:

I have Windows 2000 Server installed with TS configured, and I have checked through the terminal services connection manager to see if local printing was enabled. No one is able to print locally and the driver, which is the Laserjet 1200 print drivers have been installed. This may sound like a very novice question, but to manually add a printer, I just right click on the .inf file of the printer and install, right?

Any ideas how to resolve my problem?

John

Did you install the 1200's locally using the CD from HP? If so, it sets up a DOT4 printer connection instead of an LPT or USB, and TS won't print to it. The bad news is, getting rid of the DOT4 is a major chore.

Load an HP1100 driver instead of the 1200, pointing to an LPT or USB port, then try again.

We quit buying 1200/2200's because of this issue. We buy Lexmark E322's now instead.

Lander215, awesome response time on replying back to my problem (thank you!). I have installed the HP1200 locally from the server, it had re-assigned the port assignment to TS003 (the port that Terminal Services assigned for my HP1200 user). In the event log, it said that there was an error in loading the HP1200 driver, and the printer was not installed. I figured that the particular model may have been a headache, so I tried a Lexmark Z32 printer with moderate success.
The lexmark printer driver installed locally without any problems on the server, and when a TS user logged in, the lexmark z32 printer driver appeared to have redirected properly by having the printer icon of Lexmark Z32 from ALICE/1234. The event log had also shown no errors on TS login with printer redirection.
But when the user actually prints from a program (e.g. Notepad), the printer appears to be working and shows a successful print (then disappears from the document pending list) from the print monitor...but where was the document? The printer is able to print w/o TS. Is there something that I am not enabling/disabling correctly?

John

John,

Check the permissions on your %systemroot%\winnt\temp folder on your TS, and set it so that "Everyone" has read/write/modify permissions. If that doesn't solve it, give "Everyone" the same permission on your %systemroot%\temp folder as well.

I bet the first one will take care of it though.

The port reassignment for the 1200 was right, but I betcha that if you'll check the port that the printer is using on the users local system it will be a DOT4 port. If that's the case, you're in for a long hard summer of getting rid of it. Best bet is to just try an LJ1100 printer driver on both the local and TS.

Lander215,

I've tried what you had recommended but it still didn't work. The printer driver is installed fine, and udner the printers folder the printer shows as Lexmark Z32/Sarah/Session 2 (mapped to TS033). When the user disconnects, so does the printer (offline). But when the user connects and tries to print, it shows that it had printed successfuly but the print never occurred. Everything seems to show that the process is functional, but the print never comes out. What else do you think it could be?

Thanks,

James

Try giving everyone write permissions to the spool dir to see if this gets round it. I have had a problem in the past with Citrix and this helped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back