Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

terminal services & permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieLoMain

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
Playing with TS for the first time on my first win2k server.

I am in peer to peer mode - i.e. I do not have AD installed as of yet (I know this is lame but I am not swift enuff yet for an AD roll-out).

The plan is to setup another win2k server machine and dedicate it for use by a subsidiary entity of my company. The programs and data related to that entities operations will be on the new win2k server box.

Remote users will be given access via TS and I will run in application mode to allow multiple connections.

On my existing server I am in administrator mode. As I experiment with this - I notice that the USER I have given acces to has full control of the folders - this despite the fact that the majority of the folders are set for admin only access in the security tab of each folder.

In advance of setting up the new machine and installing the application license - I am wondering if this will be corrected when I run in application mode - or will remote users continue to have full access to all of the machines files and resources.

thanx in advance for the advice

Sorry but I messed up

I had to set the above mentioned USER as an admin so we could test out the TS connection through our VPN.

So of course he had full acees. doh!

The new question then is - once I have the new machine setup in application mode - I assume that USERS can be given TS access and their security permissions will remain intact in the TS session?

Thanx and sorry for the extra post

An important thing to remember about Terminal Services is that if you are going to run in Application Server mode then Terminal Services Licensing MUST be installed on a domain controller otherwise the TS app server will stop functioning after 90 days.

Hope this helps.

SL

I am aware of the need to install an register TS Services licensing to run in application mode

Was NOT aware that it had to be installed on a Domain Controller.

HI.

> Was NOT aware that it had to be installed on a Domain Controller
As I mentioned - if you don't have AD, then you can install TS licensing on the TS server itself (stand alone).

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back