Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Service Licensing help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersix

MIS
Jun 14, 2001
US
I am studying for my 2K server exam and in reading the terminal service section find it unclear on licensing issues.

I would like to be able to install this service for my office. I have 2K Server license on my only server. I have mostly 2K Pro workstations (with licenses) and a few XP Pro workstations (with licenses).

As I read it the workstation O/S's I am using should cover me for the Server Client Access licenses. My question is in regard to setting up the Terminal Services license server. Does anything need to be purchased for me to get a license number from Microsoft?

Also if possible I could us some information on the following. I was told that once I installed terminal services I couldn't uninstall it. That doesn't sound possible. If I set this up and it doesn't work I would like to back it out of my server. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any input.

flyersix
A+,CCNA,CNA,MCP

Windows 2000 Server Terminal Service licensing is quite confusing (fortunately, MS has cleared this all up with 2003, more later).

If your clients are running Windows 2000 Pro, or Windows XP Pro, and you're TS is a Windows 2000 Server, then you don't have to worry about purchasing any TS CAL's. W2K Pro and XP Pro have "built-in" licenses for W2K TS. That is, they don't require any special TS CAL's to be purchased. Any other OS requires a specific TS CAL. When a W2K Pro or CP Pro client connects to a W2K TS, it will receive a built-in license from the server.

Now, with Windows 2003, Microsoft has decided that every client that connects to a TS must have a separate TS CAL. So if/when you migrate to W2K3, you'll have to have a CAL for every client that connects to the server, as well as a CAL for every client that connects to a TS.

Never tried to uninstall TS, so I can't answer the second part, sorry.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

I cannot see any problem with Uninstalling Terminal Services.

Worst case scenario you could swtich Terminal Services to Remote Administration mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back