Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal service License

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtevensorrison

Technical User
Feb 22, 2006
GB
We use server 2003 and have about 12 PCs using terminal services which we purchased licenses for last year!

for soem strange reason when i open up remote desktop im being prompted with this warning messgae!

Your terminal service temporary client will expire in 7 days. please contact your systems administrator to get a permanent license.

ive not got a clue why this is happening, has anyone seen this message before and does any have a solution to this as terminal services is vital in our organisation and when were without it its like being back to the stone age.

Thanks in advance

Steven

Did you install the TS licensing server and licenses into it?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

1) Your TS licenses are probably PRE SEAT not PER USER.

2) You have probably had a couple of machines that you have resinstalled the operating system on recently. These new machines either (a) pulled a new license which forced an existing computer to use a 90-day temporary, or (b) pulled a temporary license and you are getting this error 90-days after re-installation.

3) You can go into the Terminal Server and delete any old machines that have not been accessed recently in order to free up a license.

4) You should then go to each client that is running on a temporary license and delete the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > MSLicensing > Store > LICENSE000

All fixed :)

Sorry ive not got back to you guys but ive been away from the office for the past week, im now getting round to trying to sort this problem out.

I forgot to mention that our terminal service server had to be wiped due to a virus, i wasnt hear at the time but the company who sold us our licenses carried this out, im not really sure what they have done!

Davetoo - as is said above, another firm carried out the installation but everything has been ok up untill now and times running out for me!

Twizted - i will try and run through these instructions you have given me - how would i go about deleteing old machines that have not been accessed recently!

regards

Stevie

Some more info for you guys!

i went in to the terminal service llicense application and this is what i found!

Existing windows 2000 server - terminal services CAL Token(per device) - - Type, Built in - - Total, unlimited - - Available, unlimited - - issued, 0.

Temporary Licenses for windows server 2003 - terminal server per device Cal Token - - type, temporary - - Total, Blank - - Available, blank - - Issued, 17

Windows server 2003 - Terminal Server per user CAL Token - - Type, Open - - Total, 10 - - Available, 10 - - issued, not applicable!

Is anyone familiar with this not applicable term as i think this is where the problem lies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back