Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Service Client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msir

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2001
CZ
I need some terminal service client for windows 98, can you help me?

Ok, I'll start by admitting I'm not sure what you're after. If you have an NT terminal server (NT4 TSE, Win2K AS, WinXP Pro) and you want to run a terminal services client on a Win98 machine, there are two approaches:

* Terminal Services Client from the WinXP Pro CD or from the floppy you can make under Win2K AS, or whatever the equivalent procedure was for NT4.0 (can't recall it exactly).

* The Terminal Services Web Client (tsweb, a.k.a. Terminal Services Advanced Client - TSAC). This is an IIS application that installs as virtual directory "tsweb." It delivers an ActiveX-based Terminal Services client over the web for on-demand use on any Win32 machine.

Now if you wanted Win98 to be the host you're out of luck, Terminal Services is an NT technology not supported on the DOS/9x platform.

You can still get some limited remote access of course using Microsoft Netmeeting's Remote Desktop Sharing facility. This offers single-user desktop control of a remote Win32 machine (NT or 9x).

Or you can buy some third-party tool such as PCAnywhere or any of several others. They all add their own features and quirks. I like NetMeeting because... like Internet Explorer you already paid for it when you licensed Windows. In other words, it doesn't cost anything extra.

Hope some (any) of this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back