Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Service Client Cant See Mapped Drives!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justride

Programmer
Jan 9, 2004
US
Currently Terminal Service clients can use citrix client to logon to our citrix metaframe either the server or application. However our Application (ACCESS) needs to access some mapped drives, some reside on the server. Anyways, we are getting errors because Access cannot locate the databases which reside on the mapped drive, and after research it seems the client cannot view the mapped drives either. ITs as if they do not appear! and the wierd thing is, that some odd drives do appear with the wrong mapped name. Any suggestuions? I tried installin NETBeui but that didnt seem to work, maybe i set it up wronng?

Our server name XLIB3 has a mapped drive X:\ which is a shared folder on the c:\ drive. XLIB3 is a member of the XDUCERS2 domain, the clients are on XDUCERS.

Hope that helps
THanks

got to the Citrix server and map the drives as a locally logged in user, then copy that user profile to the Default User profile and then to the all user's profile.

c:\documents and settings\default user
c:\documents and settings\all users

This will give any new user that logs in from a domain account the drives when the new username folder is created on the C:\ Drive. The all user's profile will ensure that the existent users get it.

If that doesn't work, then blow away all stored profiles on the machine and each user will get them from default users when they logon again and their account is recreated on the machine.

NOTE: This is for a direct desktop connection.....

Regards,

Hi, you are the man/woMAN whatever the case may be, me and my coworker have been trying to get this squared away for days.

On another note, does this mean I have to manually establish user profiles for each user on the network by doing this on the server itself? There is no way to set mapped drives on the server for all users? Am I even making sense, haha. Thanks though very much!!!

This will be a global change.

When a user logs on with an account that is authorized in the domain, the machine will automatically create the "local profile" for the user each time they log on.
Once the drives have been mapped, copying that profile to the default users profile, will dynamically give it to the user. Your existing users will have the mapped drive in the all user's profile and will see it when they log on next time.

A good way to "see it" happen is to be looking at c:\documents and settings
then have a user log on that has never logged on before, (create a test user), then establish the connection on a different machine. you'll the see the user profile created right in front of you.

good luck.

Remember that the All Users folder is for everyone, old and new

Default User is only for new accounts that have not logged on before. These processes get stored in the HKCU (HKEY_CURRENT_USER) hive of the registry. This Hive is rebuilt at each user logon to reflect their settings. When the user logs off the machine, the hive is stored in either a local profile or a remote machine (if you use roaming profiles). When the user logs on again, everything looks the same to them.

If you have romaing profiles, each user will get their own desktop at login.

P.S. GET RID OF NETBEUI

Let me clarify my last statement...This will be a global change.

.....When a user logs on with an account that is authorized in the domain, the machine will automatically create the "local profile" for the user each time they log on......

Once you create the mapped drives on the server and copy the profile to the default user's profile and all user's profile, then........

When the user logs into the machine the def / all user's profile will create the mapped drives and then store them in HKCU. When the user logs off his / her local / roaming profile will store the information for the next session.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Hi, Ok, I took the profile chris chris in c:\documents and settings\chris and copied it to c:\documents and settings\all users. I cant see how this would work because it seems as if only small preferences like favorites and backgorunds ... reside there. Anyways, I created another user, "bailey" and when she logged on on a remote machine she was unable to view the mapped drives, which led me to believe I need to do this alternate way. what do you think.

Im deleting netBeui

Delete Bailey's profile from C:\documents and settings

Then right click my computer, properties, click User Profiles

Copy Chris' profile to the default user profile

Log back on as Bailey, and see if it was created at that point.

If so, then blow away the entire my docs folder and have everyone log in at their leisure,

verify with a few new accounts0.....

I deleted Bailey from c:\doc setting... I did a right click on my computer and copied the profile from chris, but heres where I may of went wrong, I had to specify where to copy it to so I typed in XDUCERS\Bailey, and that accepted it but she still did not have chris's mapped drives. Also I tried copying to All Users but that yielded no results either. What do you mean by copytin to default?

Ok,

When you are in the User Profile properties of my computer, highlight Chris' folder. Then click Copy to...

From the box, browse to c:\documents and settings\default user

Use that folder.

when I am preparing .MSI files for applications, this is how we get around everything, Mapped Drives, Citrix PNI files, specific settings that need to be stored in the roaming profile, etc......

Another option that si more detailed is to use filemon.exe and regmon.exe

Turn them on, then map a drive, note all files and registry keys affected

Then export them into .reg files. ensure that the default user profile has them in it, then create your users.

Each of these will have it's own response. You'll be sure to remember anything in the HKCU folder will be stored to the local user's drive when they log on

another option is to write a login script on the server that maps the drives for all users that log in, just make sure that you a command with /persistent:yes at the end.....

Sample login script line

net use x: \\servername\sharename /persistent:yes

This will force the map to be "remembered"

The last thing I can think of for your situation is to put a batch file in the folder for startup on all users

This batch file will simply use the same command as the login script

Just ensure that the user can at least read and list folder contents or they will be prompted for access....

net use x: \\servername\sharename /persistent:yes

Yer a programmer, replace the X instance in access with a UNC path, \\servername\username

Might end up being more than it's worth.

Let me know. I'll be back in about an hour to check on ya.

Do you make house calls?

Im actually reintalling 2000 because I accidentally overwrote the admin profile and lost everrything. I will take another look at it, this citrix server stuff is not my bag at all. We also have another small problem you may be to assist in. Our access database apparently uses sql/odbc connections, how hard is it to set that up.

I am a programmer, howvwer Im filling the void trying to fill in for somebody who left the company, I do not use any of this.

But thanks for all your help, you certianly know yyou stuff

I will be back next week to discuss more, Happy Weekend thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back