Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Does anyone know if it's possible to access a Windows 2000 Terminal Server throught the web? Here's what I propose...

I'd like to build a Windows 2000 Terminal Server at home. I know you have to open two ports on the firewall, however, I'd like to use port 80 since I do not have the ability to modify port settings on our company's firewall. So if I can get out on port 80 at work, redirect port 80 on my home router to the port that Terminal Server sets up, theoretically I should be all set.

Basically all I'm looking to do is log in to my computer's desktop at home loggin into a terminal server sessions through the internet. If there's an easy way to do this or if anyone has a white paper on this, please let me know. Thanks!

If the ports are open you should be able to access the server from anywhere. But keep in mind that you must use the terminal services client in order to connect. windows2000 pro has this client built in. I am pretty much doing the same thing you want to do and it works great. I would be really carefull of hackers. The way i have it setup is, a have a windows2000 adavnced server that i setup as a VPN server. I first connect to that then i connect to my terminal server. My VPN is behind a PIX firewall with an IP address that is mapped to my servers IP address...That way no one can access my terminal server until they get into my VPN. They cant even ping any of my ip address's...

Hope this helps.
good luck

Are you trying to access your companies system from home or vice versa?

I'm actually trying to access my home PC from Work. We have a proxy server which filters/logs activity on the web. What I'm looking to do is connect to my PC at home through a terminal client and access the web through my cable modem. Just looking to see what the best way to get this done would be.

Can we change the port number for Terminal Server instead of using the default 3389?
My company bloked that port, I want to change to a new prot.

Thanks

You can use TS through a web browser... Download the Terminal Services Advance Client (TSAC). users then can use a url to hit the TS and logon within the browser.

Chirag IT

Yes, the port for Terminal Services can be changed via a registry key. And dvannoy, 2000 doesn't have the client built in, it needs to be retrieved from a Terminal Server PC and installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back