Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

blisten

Technical User
Oct 30, 2002
US
I am looking to put Peachtree 2004 on a windows 2000 terminal server. I currently have 2003 working, although it is not support, has anyone figure out any reg hacks for 2004?

Bob Listen
A+ MCP CCA

I tried the stuff that was in that doc. I still could get 2004 to work on our windows 2000 terminal server. I keep getting the message that peachtree was unable to detect the status of the peachtree.ini. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it..

Has anyone been able to make this work?

Yes I got Peachtree 2004 to run on terminal server. (citrix)Very simple actually. Find HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\TSAppCompat in the registry editor. Then change the value from a one to a zero. This has worked for me on my test server. Have not implememted it to my production server yet. So far this tweek has had no negative reprocussions. I'm going to restrict Peachtree 2004 to my test machine until I figure out how to make it allow more than one instance to run. THIS is what I need help with.. Anyone have any luck. please respond or email me at jcroeder@procopy.com

Update to my previous post... Please test this registry tweek extensively, It was reported to me that this tweek has caused unwanted results with TS licensing.

Do you have any specific info on the kind of TS licensing problems that registry change causes? I'm working on the same thing at a client's site tomorrow.

I'm also trying to run peachtree 2004 on win2k terminal server. Has any one been able to do this? Thanks

WARNING!!! Changing the TSAppCompat reg key from 1 to 0 will work for one user, but if you have to reboot, your terminal server will change from Application Mode to Remote Admin mode. This will disable your ability to run published applications. I am currently rebuilding my Citrix server, so test it first. Any help is appreciated.

GOT IT TO WORK WITH NO REGISTRY MODS. Here is the file I wrote.

Running Peachtree 2004 in a Citrix Environment (unauthourized by Peachtree. Use at your own risk)

Please note, changing the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\TSAppCompat registry key from 1 to 0 will allow peachtree to run, however, when you reboot, the server will come up in Remote Admin mode and render your Citrix / TS environment USELESS. The licensing issues reported above are a direct result of running your Terminal Server in Remote Admin mode which limits you to two users max. The following steps will allow you to run Peachtree and remain in Application Mode, thus preserving your Citrix Terminal Server Environment. This method does not require ANY registry modifications.

1. Copy the following files from the C:/winnt folder on your Citrix / Terminal Server to the the C:\Documents and
Settings\%username%\Windows folder:
pcw110.ini (this file may vary based on version)
bti.ini

2. Copy the following files from the \Peachw installation folder on your Citrix / Terminal Server to the C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Windows folder:
MKDEWE.TRN
MKDEMSG.LOG

3. Edit the BTI.ini file. Change the "trnfile=" value from the default to "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\WINDOWS\" without the quotes and save the file.

4. Verify that the %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\WINDOWS\ path is correct by copying it to the run prompt and select "OK".

When the window opens up, it should be the windows directory for the specified user. If this does not display, then you will either need to modify the path to not use variables as shown above, or check to see if you are using a Home Directory in the user's profile as this will interfere with the ability to use variable data. The benefit of using the variable data is that you can copy the same BTI.ini file to all users without having to customize on a per user basis.

Good Luck.

One additional note. This is a Win2k Server with SP4 running Citrix MF XP with FR3. The program is still limited to one user at a time.

Is there any way to get around the one user session limit?
[noevil]

Hi Blisten,

Can you share with us how you got peachtree 2003 to work on terminal server? I trying to do on my terminal server. Thanks.

I have been successful since my post, Useing the website given by scotchneat4me. No problems since i installed in september

Bob Listen
A+ MCP CCA

what is the point if u get only 1 user to use the PT remotly?
might as well use VNC or some other free gizmo!

my test so far:
-PT 2004 Compleate
-win2000 with TS in Remote Admin Mode
ALL based on the
results:
does NOT work but only for the ADMIN account and can NOT accept the additional (2nd and the last) concurrent admin OR user account as PT refuses to run while the other accunt is using it.
:-(

I will give it shoot in Application Mode....although I have my doubts......Citrix is a whole another deal.
Have any of you tried setting up "VPN mapped drive" to datasource on remote location!?
Thanx for sharing.......
the battle continues....as I grow more gray hair over PT :)
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

2nd round:
my test so far:
-PT 2004 Compleate
-win2000 server with TS in App Mode
ALL based on the -----------------------------------------------------------
2 concurrent users so far

1st test failed for the resons desicribed....voulme mounted to TS user folder was dropped upon reboot....
this was not the case for the TS in App Mode.
Running PT Semi-Live Updates from the TS Client did not work.
Now...the real question is WHY PT team does not make this a standard feature vs. tweaking the registry?
Sessions are no longer the issue.
The only other thing I can think of as a possible danger in data corruption is in WebSynch or TS sessions

Anyow, the link provided worked for PT2004 Compleate as well....all it is left is hope that PT some days develps this furter as they """Remote Data Access"""" over the web is a joke and offers only 5% of the functions that entire app has.
All the best!

> need more info?

I think I fixed it.
I had 2003 pt running on ms server 2003, network setup as peer to peer. Other 3 computers used it, however, only one person could use at a time if using the app on server. App on workstations and data path to server there were no problems.

I just got in multiuser peachtree complete 2004. Followed all the instructions. It worked fine but only when "open peachtree" was selected at end of install. Once peachtree closed I could not open again. "Peachtree could not detect the status of peachtree ini."

Several removes, reinstalls, and following every thread in pt knowledge base and this thread plus links I couldn't get it to open no matter what I did.

Finally, I did a search for pcw*.ini and found that the 2003 version pcw100.ini was located in the windows root AND the Administrator/Documents and settings/windows folder. So I copied the pcw110.ini (2004 version) from the windows root into the same folder as the pcw100 in admin and it worked!

Don't know if there will be other issues later since I wanted to install and get it to work on server first. Then I'll load on work stations. Seems this ini file may need to be copied into each users windows folder.

Will post more and certainly ask more if other problems develop. I'm not a programmer or much of a tech person. I own my business and have a systems admin help with tech problems. Usually he fixes what I mess up :) But I do follow logical analysis to trace problems and find solutions which at least get me functional until it's fixed tight or I stumble upon a "right" fix. I'd be happy to answer any questions but just remember I am not REAL up on a lot of nomenclature you real techs might use. THANKS FOR THIS THREAD! It was information in here on similar issues that helped me find the solution for pt2004 and ms windows server 2003 enterprise edition.

Seems this ini file may need to be copied into each users windows folder."
It is a must! ;-)

> need more info?

I've read all the posts here and have a question. I have window 2003 small business server. Loaded PT 2004. It runs fine for the administrator account (account used to install it. I have Terminal Server installed in application mode and use the remote desktop application to connect to the server. And I read where I was supposed to copy the pcw110.ini file into the windows directory for the users. But when I check the directories, they don't have a windows directory. I'm sure I'm missing something. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I get the error "currently, another user has Peachtree Accounting Open on this computer....." Is there a work around?

I have PeachTree Complete 2002 running on a Win2k TS with Citrix Metaframe. The only way I was able configure multi-user access into a single company was to install seperate copies of Peachtree. Since the user list for Peachtree was short, only 3 people, this didn't over burden the TS.
I have tested PCA 2004, but not in multi-user yet.

There is a compatiblity script in Win2k that sets up the W:\ drive for c:\doc..\username\windows (or something like that?)

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back