Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal server

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechJones

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
GB
I have to domian controllers (win2k).
one is used for exchange and the other is the first server that created the domian. I need a terminal server and under normal circumstances I would add another server to do just that, but our budget is tight and I am looking at the installing terminal services on the main server. only have 10 users at the office and no more that 5 remote users at once will access the terminal server.
Does anyone know of any reason why I should not do this or any issues that may occur as a result?
Thanks
Gary.

If your citrix server crashes your PDC dies too.
Just a thought.

BTW Pricewatch.com is a good place for cheap parts
If you do it right. You can build a high end computer for about 3 to 5 hundred dollars.
BLIXX
I=PRT

I haven't had any problems using term services. I have my cisco firewall set to only allow access from my home to work. I haven't had to go into the office late at night or on a weekend for a long time.

TS default encryption is set to medium, but you can change it to high, which in the MS world is 156bit if I remember correctly. I noticed no change in speed by going to high encryption.

Since your a small outfit why not try something besides TS. I have VNC installed on 3 of my servers. I can open a browser, type in (Which is the port) and select the options button and check share desktop, and users can log on and see the same thing the other sees. I don't like TS because it starts a session and we can't tell what the other is using. VNC is free. A good one is Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest."
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790), US statesman, diplomat, inventor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back