Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server Slowing & Disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jma

Technical User
Apr 24, 2001
US
We have a W2K box running TS to connect 4 remote offices to our main location. 256k at each remote into T1 at main location side. 1g RAM on TS box, licensing all ok...
In a completely random pattern our users at various branches will experience the system getting slower and slower as day goes on, until eventually we have to restart and speed picks up. We also have random disconnects where we will suddenly lose one branch or maybe all at once...phone company is taking standard "line is good" position. The sessions are all set to never end. Apps are all run on a seperate main server that they access thru ts box. Any ideas, direction or research avenues anyone can point me in...before we are linched by our very irritable users?!?! Thanks, M

Checked your event log? Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"It is never too late to learn what is always necessary to know."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC - 65AD) Roman philosopher, statesman.

Yes, Should have mentioned that...nothing there...

Hi:
I had a similar problem which extended to my VPN users and eventually to the LAN after a few weeks so if you problem is same as mine your T-1 line is the source where you are having internet connections but not enough at times to accomdate all users. Call your provider to run tests on your T-1 and see the results.
Good Luck

Yes, I can call providor they've done some initial testing...but could you give me an idea of what specifically I should ask them to run? They say all the "standards" come up fine...Thanks

First you need to ask them what speed is your bandwidth and see what they come up with, typically with the t-1 you should have more than 1.0 meg unless there are problmes. also tell them to run a complete circuit check which also invovles telco. In our case there was a problem with the line and telco had to come out. They replace some parts and also removed some monitoring on the line which had caused the line to be slow also we found out that there was some bridging between our line and some other company which they removed and that helped. you could also run a test to see what is your speed. Go to this site and check it. Good luck

jma,
I have a question for you. If you could help me out or know anything about this I would appreciate it. Do you map back to your clients workstations for anything once you are logged into the terminal server sessions. If so how are you getting this done? I have a problem mapping back to my clients drives using all the ways I know how and I am just lost now. On my old NT 4.0 Terminal server I could use the net use command inside the session and it would map back to the client. Now with them logging into a Win2k server running TS sessions no luck of mapping back to the clients which are also Win2k. I have old dos apps and therefore need to map back to the clients drive and printers...Thanks for your time.

By the way in your case I would get all the service packs for the win2k that you can because my Win2k was doing the same as yours. I had SP1 on it and while I was talking to M$ they told me it was a winsock problem and that if I didn't reboot the win2k machine that often it would soon run out of resources. M$ tells that it is fixed with SP2 or later. From talking with others that run in an enviroment like yours it is not a bad idea to reboot your TS server once every couple of weeks to clear out any memory leaks from other apps too. Good luck and if you find a solution to my problem please post it.

I have mapped back to their own hard drives and printers...have to create a share on workstation end, on w98 enable file & print sharing etc...sometimes have to use a netuse stmt back to ip of that machine...that seems to keep it connecting pretty well.

We restart our TS box each day! what a pain but worth it.
Let me know if you would like more detail about my mapping etc...netuse etc..

M

JMA, try installing VNC on the server, (Or servers) and a couple of workstations. (It's free, and very easy to configure. You can find it on any search engine.) See if you have the same problem using vnc instead of the vpn. (Virtual Private Networking. Instead of starting a new session like the vpn, vnc let's you work directly on the pc's. I have it installed on around 250 users in my network, and it's saved me a ton of walking.) Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950) English dramatist, critic

The mapping works great on the same LAN but I am going from different LANS.
Ex:
192.168.1.1 Win2k server
192.168.2.15 Win2k Pro machine
I share a folder on Win2k pro machine run my session and I can't see the Win2k pro machine any where on the Win2k server. I can ping the Win2k pro machine by name and ip address but when I go to use a net use statement or map drive GUI it tell me the network path cannot be found.
It should not be true b/c on say the 192.168.2.X network other machine can map drives and printers between them. But that does me no good b/c all apps are on Win2k server. Once inside that session nothing will map. Any ideas or place or people that I can get info from would be helpful. My client is really on me now....
I also have a couple clients that log to the Win2k server from via the internet that need to have the same function but can't map to them using their ip address or anything...
Crazy thing is NT 4.0 TS works perfect. Can't use it though :< Thanks for your time.

I haven't seen anything on dns, wins, dhcp, hosts or lmhosts. How are you set up. This may not have anything to do with ts. You said you checked your log files, did you check all of them? Glen A. Johnson
gjohn76351@msn.com

&quot;Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.&quot;
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950) English dramatist, critic

We install WIndows 2000 TS servers at the branch offices we setup. On a single processor system the TS would slow down and need a reboot. I had them set to reboot every night. The problem was a leaky (Memory) application. Have you watch performance monitor and see if it is a processor bottleneck or RAM? We now have less of an issue with this sence we started installing Dual Processor TS servers. You said the application is ran on another machine? Whats the application. Do you not still have to run some type of application interface on the TS? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I too have had similar problems trying to set up and map drives on Terminal Server. I was setting up a remote POS system and mapping the docket printer back to the local machine to print. It works well to lpt ports like jma had done however I couldn't map it to com ports. Is it possible to map a com port under windows 2000? I need to do this in order to trigger the cash box connected to a com port.

1. Are you or your provider running a cache engine anywhere on the network? If so, you will want to exclude the terminal server's address.

2. Install the terminal server web access on a web server local to the terminal services server and have the clients access terminal services via the web client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back