Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal server session question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yisrael

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2003
US
I have a terminal server that is running an database application. This application is spread out among multiple facilities and multiple users. The users have to log on to the application and have passwords for the application. As of now, I have one Windows user logging on to all of the remote desktop sessions. Once they log onto the Windows session, they are asked for their password to the application. This is how I prefer to deploy the application as this way the user needs to log on only once.

However, because they are logging on as the same Windows user, users are connecting to others sessions. Outside of creating many separate users on the Windows domain, which then requires significant effort across all of the facilities, is there any way to allow users the ability to log on to their Windows terminal session with the same user name without connecting to others sessions with the same Windows logon name? Can I force the users to connect to a new session and not to another existing session? Thank you.

So let me get this right. You have a TS server hosting an application, you want all users to logon with the same user account, but you want the TS Server to create a new session for each connection and not reconnect session (stealing someone else's session).

In the TS Configuration (Server Manager > Roles > Terminal Services > Terminal Services Configuration )

Right click on the connection (Connection by default called RDP-Tcp) and go to properties. When this properties dialog window opens go to the Log on Settings tab. Here you can define all connections to use a paticular logon info.

Now you need to open the group policy for the machine wether be it an Active Directory GPO or local GPO. The local GPO (probably for your case) Go start > Run > type gpedit.msc.

From here Browse to the following path Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Terminal Server > Connections.

Disable the Restrict Terminal Services Users to a single remote session, and you may want to disable automatic reconnection setting as well. Now if a user gets disconnected they will have to relogon to the application.

Windows Haiku:

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Thank you for your response. I have seen all of these settings already. I set disconnected sessions to log off of the server after 1 minute. I also found a setting in Group Policy:Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Terminal Services/Sessions "Allow Reconnection from original client only" Enabled. Even though it seems to apply only to Citrix ICA sessions, I enabled it anyway.

I am pretty much resigned to setting up many more user accounts to avoid any future problems of piggy back sessions even with all of these settings. I think it will keep our environment least prone to future problems.

Once again, thank you for your response!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back