Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server Licensing not counting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdfi13

MIS
May 24, 2005
US
I have remoted into a server using 4 different accounts at the same time. When I look at my licensing server, it says I have 10 of 10 licenses still available. I went through the Terminal Server setup, and pointed to my licensing server. Could I still be using the Remote Desktop admin connection? How can you tell?

Also, my Terminal Server licenses are per user, and when I try to log into a server with an account that is already logged in, it kicks the first one off. I know with RD admin, you can login 2 sessions, with the same account.

Thanks

On the Teminal server open up the Terminal Services Configuration snapin. Click on the Server Settings folder in the left window pane. In the right window pane you should see Licensing, because you have per user licenses this should be set to Per User, if its set to Per Device its wrong. I believe, bare with me its been a while, if you are not running in Application mode it will say Remote Desktop for Administration, this should be a clear indication you need to get into add and remove software and put it in Application Mode. Unless the users you are testing with all have admin authority sounds like you are already in application mode just need to change the licensing to per user. a little lower you will see Restrict each user to one session, i would leave this check on or yes, people dont need multiple connections to the same TS. just my opinion.

Hope this helps,

RoadKi11

Licesing is set to "Per User" in TS Configuration. I do not see a setting for Application Mode. I think that option was removed in the W2K3 enviroment.

Thanks for the post.

Anyone else have any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is 2K3 allows you to remotely administer a server without any TS licenses.

Per user terminal service licensing does not work that way right now. Until Microsoft can create a reasonable way to enforce peruser licensing, you are on your honor. As long as you purchase valid licenses, it is up to you to police their usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back