Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server Licencing

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman070578

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2002
GB
I have just installed Terminal server on My Windows 2003 Server. I only want to use it so I can log onto the servers remotly from my workstation - I'm not interested in application sharing.

Is it true that Administrators can use it just to log onto servers remotly without needing to by licences? It seems to have given me access for 120 days.......that isn't up yet though.

Currently I am using the Remote Desktop program on my Windows 2000 Pro Workstation.

d.philpin@dewisant.pembroke.sch.uk

Terminal services is installed automatically in remote administration mode in windows server 2003, you don't have to install anything. If you have reinstalled it, perhaps you chose application mode rather then administration mode, I cannot think of any other reason why it would mention 120 days. Server 2003 comes with 2 free licenses for remote administration.

AM

quoted from
Different between TS and RDC on 2003

Terminal Server for Windows Server 2003 is known as Application Server mode in Windows 2000 Server, which provides application deployment and management for users on a variety of devices through its application server mode.

Remote Desktop Connection for Administration is built for the remote administration, which is known as Administration mode of Windows 2000 Terminal Services.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network and How to at

you should be connecting via your clients Remote Desktop Connections (XP - communications folder) or install RDP if win98. I know you probably did this, but just in case. I think its on the server disk and is available of the web - its free.

You shouldn't be using any form of terminal emulation. Its an essential tool when working from remote sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back