Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Server and direct access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpalme

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
US
Has anyone set up Peachtree to be accessed both through Terminal Services and by computers accessing the data files directly through a mapped drive to the Peachtree database on the terminal server?

I have users at the server location mapping to the Peachtree database on the server (using S: as the mapped drive). I now want to add remote users with Terminal Services. I have the instructions from dev.remotenetworktechnology.com/ts/peachtree.htm. I am concerned that changing the trnfile on the server to trnfile=W:\windows\ will interfere with the connection between Peachtree and and the computers mapped to the S: drive.

Do I need to set the rootdrive of the mapped computers to W:, copy the .ini file to the user's windows directory and then just set the data path in the .ini file to S:?

Besides not changing what the user's are used to, is there any advantage to having the local computers use a mapped drive instead of just converting them to using terminal services just like the remote computers?

Thanks for your help

Betty

What you want to do is nothing new. Let Windows help you. Use %userprofile% to point everything. Here's how my term server's bti.ini looks: trnfile=%userprofile%\windows. If I remember correctly the trnfile setting is simply where a log goes... Although I'm not 100% sure. The reason you need to point this to somewhere specific for each TS user is so you don't have 'locked' files.

Don't waste you time with the w: drive.
Read these two posts:

If my instructions are too vague let me know.
Tylan

tylan,

Thanks for your help. I'm not very familiar with the use of the generic %% terms like %userprofile%. Someone in one of the threads instructed to set the trnfile=%homedrive%%homepath%\windows. What's the difference between that and trnfile=%userprofile%?

The original remotenetworktechnology instructions have 3 references to the W: drive. Do I set each to %userprofile% as follows?
1) in RootDrv2.cmd, Set RootDrive=%userprofile%
2) in bti.ini, trnfile=%userprofile%\windows
3) in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Btrieve Technologies\Microkernal Workstation Engine\Settings\Home Directory set to %userprofile%\windows

Also, if I've already set RootDrive=W: in RootDrv2.cmd and connected from the terminals to the terminal server, but not loaded Peachtree, is it too late to change to RootDrive=%userprofile%? That is, has it already set something up on the terminals or does it just set up when Peachtree is loaded or logged onto for the first time?

Thanks,
Betty

They're system variables. Hit start and run on any 2000/xp box. Run each one as if it were a command. You'll see what they are. They are variables specific to each user. These two variables, %homedrive%%homepath% and %userprofile% yield the same results.

If you use the system variables in step 2 and 3, you won'd need to activate the "W" drive. You can actually skip step 1. You only need the RootDrive if your using a legacy app. Something that doesn't support those variables.

You can change the Registry and the BTI.INI whenever you want. I think you need to give each user a copy of the INI file. Just paste it into the profile.

Thanks tylan. It works like a charm.
Betty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back