Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal Emulation Confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnar

Technical User
Apr 23, 2001
US
Hello,

I just came across this forum and to be totally honest, I am totally intimidated

That out of the way, I am a complete beginner with HP 3000/MPE/iX. I'm a 6-mo. old software tester for some terminal emulation software and as the "new kid on the block" was given the HP to test (it's not a very frequent host used with our software). With this software, the administrator can select a number of different terminal types (HP92094? something like that?). Is there a command I can run on the HP that would return to me the terminal emulation it's responding to?

Or, can you recommend any resources, books, web sites, where I might turn to get basic information on HP MPE/ix and its terminal types?

Thanks, in advance!

Donna M. Rode
Bellingham, WA
donna.rode@netmanage.com

Actually, yes there is. At the MPE prompt, type SHOWVAR STDIN@ (the @ is the wildcard character). If you are using Reflection (WRQ), it should return this:
HPSTDIN_ACCESS_TYPE = NS/VT
If you are using MiniSoft or QCterm, I don't know. I work on a 947 w/6.0 mpe/ix, so I couldn't say what the default on other machines are, but on ours it's either HP70092, or on a dumb terminal, a 2392a. Also, there is online help. Type HELP at the MPE prompt, and at the > type CLASS. Also, is a good site.

Thanks a Lot to jlkamurphy ...
The link you have posted will be a lot helpful to me...

Nickel

AFAIK, the HP responds to two basic terminal types, type 10 (an HP terminal or terminal emulating an HP terminal), and type 18 (anything else). The terminal type is defaulted to that set by the system programmer for the individual port when the system was configured. It can be overridden by ;TERM= on the :HELLO command. The primary difference is in whether it uses ENQ/ACK (type 10) or not (type 18).

Beyond that, many/most HP software packages use the "normal" HP terminal escape sequences to control painting the screen, entering block/character mode, setting function key labels, etc. You REALLY need a copy of an HP terminal manual (perhaps the 700/92, 2392A, or 700/94) to learn about the extensive set of terminal commands any successful emulator must handle.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back