Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TERMINAL/CONSOLE PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
aiXpert/s,

can someone kindly give me some feedback re my consol/terminal problem.

i have a running system, but for unknown reason the console/terminal stops working. 'seems to me there's a problem with the terminal itself - no POWER. the console/terminal is WYSE terminal, connected on serial #1.

i decided to change it by IBM3151. but when i tried turning it ON - i can not get any login screen. and i can't type anything on it. 'must be the setup thing but never done this before.

any idea/s what's happening? usually i worked with PC terminal connected to AIX with emulator but this one is somewhat new to me.

thanks-in-advance.

I had the same probleme...with your new IBM3151, have you only a prompt????? You cann't type anything???
check at your keyboard because some keyboard aren't compatible with AIX!

Have you checked the terminal setup (ctrl and minus) on keyboard takes you into the setup where you can check the config.
An ibm3151 terninal manual will explain most parms.

Hi, We've seem this where a terminal failure can cause the serial port to 'hang', which prevents the login herald from displaying. From the connected terminal's keyboard, enter a ctrl-Q (hold down the ctrl key and press Q) and see if that does anything. You should also check if the user (on the serial port) is really logged out. This should be tty1 or tty0 and you can check by logging in as root and issuing the 'who -u' command. If it's an active process, you now have the pid to kill it. Good luck, HTH

---Will

thanks. but let me give each of you a feedback.

for:

1. LeDam - the keyboard is 100% compatible with AIX as it is the keyboard for the IBM3151, KB model is 1392595 and i'm using it in one of my AIX box.

2. oqurum - i'm trying but can't find the manual yet, maybe thru the Internet.

3. mradmin - pressing control Q doesn't give any response from the terminal

also, my box is a stand-alone AIX box, so i don't have any terminal connection other than the console/terminal itself.

Try by unplugged the keyboard..... Perahaps you should have the login window...

You need to know what the port was set up for, BAUD rate, teminal type, type of handshaking, etc. I cannot remember it all, but by playing around with the term setup you should get it going.

Normally if the BAUD rate is wrong you get rubbish displayed, so I don't think that is the problem here. It may be an "ECHO ON/OFF" issue, or a "HALF/FULL DUPLEX" setting.

Sorry I cannot offer more, but it's been 3 years since I last dealt with terminals.

Chris

have this problem fixed. thank you.

i need to play around with the setup and with the right combination, i got it. thanks to the manual and feedback from you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back