Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Terminal and PC logons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazhbu

MIS
Jul 23, 2001
US
I have user who log on mainly through terminals, and those have their rights severly limited. Sometime users who are in the terminal services group will log onto the domain with a PC. Then I need them to have more freedom on that PC. Is there a way to tell the DC that when someone has logged on with a computer that has an account in this domain, use this policy, and when they log on with a terminal use this policy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've seen this question come up many times - but to the best of my knowledge, there is no way that Terminal Services can do this on a per-device basis - only on a per-user/group basis or to the local machine.

Maybe the users could have a different login for the PCs? I know that's not exactly perfect.

I hope someone else has a better answer! CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

Check out KB 260370. It discusses how to apply GPO to a Terminal Server without affecting other servers and users (using Loopback processing of Group Policy). I don't think it's perfect, but it's the best I could dig up. I'm in the exact same boat, I need to lock down a TS without adversely affecting users on their local machines. Not an easy thing to do I'm finding out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back