Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Term Srv and remote print

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2005
US
Good day all....

I have a two fold problem. The first being that I have an application that runs on a Unix platform and is accessed from a Windows word via kicking the app off from the desktop with a shortcut pointing to the Unix server. Everthing works as planned at the local site (I have two sites running the app). Printing is done through the local PC's default printer and is controlled fine. The remote site vpn's thru a tunnel that connects to a terminal server that runs the Unix app locally thru TS. TS is up and running fine, (buy the way it is a W2k Server), but I need to be able to print from the main store to the remote thru the TS.

What I did to accomplish this was to set up an IP printer on the remote network, add it to the remote W2k server as a shared printer, and then from the TS I added the printer to the assigned server \\ip\shared printer name. Everything appeared to work normal. As a domain admin I can see the printer and use it normally thru TS. As a TS user (who has limited access thru the server just to run the app, they do not see the printer. Any ideas?????

Issue two is that I attempted to add a new printer thru one of the remote users TS profile by changing them to be a domain admin and then add the printer thru \\ip\shared name. I think I miss typed the network name and now I cannot open the printer folder on the TS server. It appeats that the applet to open the print folder is trying to locate the remote printer and is having a difficult time in doing so. Is there a way to remove a printer via registry or other means so that I can retry to add a connection to the remote printer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Did you share the printer? Give access to the TS clints in sharing?

Yes, the printer is fully shared on both the remote server and the TS server.

cleanspl.exe is a utility for cleaning printer spoolers. I've used it on PC's where the spooler was using 99% of resources. You can get it from microsoft. Be warned, it will clean all the printers, not just the one you want. Go ahead and look for it as the documentation will tell you where you can look in the registry for what you want to clean specifically.

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

I rebooted the server and the spooler app came back and it connects with the remote printer. I have not tried to connect thru TS to see if the remote user can find the device. Will try in the AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back