Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

term-ext-group vs. pickup-group

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObLogic7

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
I have 7 phones in a department that all need to ring when the department's primary extension is dialed. The department is staffed by a single person on the weekends and they may be in any area of the department and will need to answer the phone when it rings.

Until now, they have been using a combination of term-ext-group and pickup-group. However, when there are multiple employees andwering the phones during the week they need to transfer calls to other employees within the department. If the call comes in and the pickup group is used to anser, they are not allowed to transfer the call to another phone in the pickup group.

They are frustrated with this not working logically and have asked that I look into alternate configurations for accomplishing the same task. Unfortunately these are 2402 phones and 2420s are out of the question due to budget limitations.

Is there any alternative to this configuration that will ring all the phones simultaneously and allow them to transfer calls to other phones within the department?

Hardware platform? Definity / CM software version?

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

37 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 27 years and counting

Coverage answer groups
You can create coverage answer groups that allow two to eight telephones to ring
simultaneously when calls are redirected to the group. Anyone in the answer group can answer
the incoming call.

If it were me trying to fix this I would setup a test group using the coverage answer groups. I think it will give you a little more flexibility on getting those calls back to where you need them to be. In reading the Avaya Aura™ Communication
Manager Feature Description and Implementation (which gives you a detailed description on each and programming instructions) the TEG's look to have more restrictions to them than the Coverage Answer Groups do.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Forgot to mention that... they are setup on a CAG as well. This setup was put in place by our vendor when the system was installed over a year ago. I am just now hearing about how much trouble it is causing the department and would like to do something about it for them if possible.

The primary dept ext is setup on the TEG, all the phones are members of a pickup group and CAG. Seems to me like that is a bit redundant, but I'm not exactly following the logic of how it is setup anyway. Need to go read up on each of these group types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back