Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ten Commandments of Home Computing. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
One of the things we should be doing to help clients is to give them something that will allow them to remember us, and possibly help them. I was thinking about creating The Ten Commandments of Home Computing. When I visit a client at home who has a personal pc problem, when done I would give them a framed copy of this they could hang by there pc to help them remember me and things like running live update on a weekly basis. I'm going to post what I've started, and it's an open forum. If anybody has suggestions, problems etc., let us know. This will be open for anybody running a small business to pass out to clients. I realize some of the business people out here are programmers, some work on security, etc. My specialty currently is giving low cost home pc repair, where I can make money on quantity and not cost. I'm probably the lowest priced, so I get plenty of calls and most of the problems are fixed within a couple of hours. One lady called today that told me I worked on her pc 2 years ago, and she needed help again. Anyway, here's the startof the 10 Commandments.
1) Always have anti-virus software installed, running and up to date.
A good anti-virus program should be able to scan incoming e-mails, delete the infected e-mails and then notify you what the program has done. On a weekly basis, you should connect to the company and run a live-update to make sure the anti-virus program has the latest protection for the latest viruses.
2) Allow critical updates to be down-loaded from Microsoft. As the internet gets more and more complex, more and more ways of attacking a computer via the internet are being created. Microsoft now has an option to download any fixes to vulnerabilities which they call Critical Updates.
3) Run a program that hunts down spy’s on your hard drive. There are programs that are invisibly downloaded on your computer that will monitor what internet sites you are visiting and send the information back to the company that installed them. This is called spy-ware.

Feel free to pitch in.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

I have seen things like this in other areanas. The key, I think is to keep each commandment as short and simple as possible.

[blue]"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the other head of science is BAD! Oh, beware the other head of science, Arthur; it bites!!" - The Tick[/blue]

If you get a error message that you don't recognize, take a snapshot of it (using Ctrl+PrtScrn, and pasting it into WordPad)."

Chip H.

Good one Chip, just need to figure a way the average computer user can understand it. Thanks. (On my W2K machine, it's just PrintScreen, if you use the ctrl key, it won't copy.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Check to see if the monitor is on if your PC does not start when you push the CPU button.

I kid you not....iI've seen it happen

Now explain to the common user what CPU means. [wink]

[/sub]

Hmm. That's different, then. It used to be Alt+PrtScrn to get the active window, and Ctrl+PrtScrn to get the entire desktop.

Chip H.

Most of my clients are suffering from Pebcam.
Problem
Exists
Between
Chair
And
Monitor.
That's why this has to be simple.

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Pebcam is good, I like it :)

I also like the ID TEN T error = ID 10 T

Another vital commandment is RTFM (Read The Flaming Manual)

If at first you don't succeed, reboot and try again. (Being sure to communicate that this applies to OS errors, not common tasks).

RiverGuy, I like that, it should be number 10, as if all else fails, re-boot the machine. If the problem persists, contact a professional. Here's where we're at so far.
1) Always have anti-virus software installed, running and up to date.
A good anti-virus program should be able to scan incoming e-mails, delete the infected e-mails and then notify you what the program has done. On a weekly basis, you should connect to the company and run a live-update to make sure the anti-virus program has the latest protection for the latest viruses.
2) Allow critical updates to be down-loaded from Microsoft.
As the Internet gets more and more complex, more and more ways of attacking a computer via the Internet are being created. Microsoft now has an option to download any fixes to vulnerabilities which they call Critical Updates.
3) Run a program that hunts down spy’s on your hard drive. There are programs that are invisibly downloaded on your computer that will monitor what Internet sites you are visiting and send the information back to the company that installed them. This is called spy-ware. One of the best removal tools is located at Spy-Bot Search and Destroy. It’s free and you can find it at
4) Don’t use the preview pane in Microsoft outlook or outlook exchange.
Using the preview pane while viewing your e-mail is very handy, but it’s the same as opening an e-mail. At one time, someone discovered a flaw in the Outlook system, where they could infect your machine just by opening an e-mail, not attachments. This was called VBS/BubbleBoy. The flaw was fixed, but there may be others discovered later, so better safe than sorry.

5) If you receive an error message, make a copy of it.
Just by pressing PrintScrn on your keyboard, you make a snapshot of it, you can then go to Start, Run type "WordPad" without the quotes and press enter. At the top select Edit, and then from the drop down, choose paste. You can print this out for a technician to use later to help troubleshoot the problem.

6) If you receive an e-mail from a company and at the bottom it asks if you want to be removed from the mailer, choose “no”. This is a method spammers use to find valid e-mail addresses. They send out tens of thousand of these, and when someone clicks “Yes”, they know the e-mail address is valid, and it’s then sold to people to send you spam.

10) As a last resort, re-boot.
If you have a system with the computer, such as it’s locking up or getting slower and slower, re-boot the machine. If it is locked and you can’t shut it down, press the power button to turn it off, then turn it back on after 10 seconds. (Disclaimer, this is not a good thing to do. Usually it will want to run check disk to see if your hard drive is damaged, allow it to do so.) If the problem isn’t solved by re-booting, or recurs later, contact a professional. Do NOT re-boot if it’s a software problem, such as spell check in Word doesn’t work.

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

6) If you receive an e-mail from a company and at the bottom it asks if you want to be removed from the mailer, choose “no”. This is a method spammers use to find valid e-mail addresses. They send out tens of thousand of these, and when someone clicks “Yes”, they know the e-mail address is valid, and it’s then sold to people to send you spam.
No! Do not click anything! Any type of response flags you as hot and ready to be spammed.

6) If you receive an e-mail from a company and at the bottom it asks if you want to be removed from the mailer, don’t do anything.
This is a method spammers use to find valid e-mail addresses. They send out tens of thousand of these, and when someone clicks “Yes” or “No”, they know the e-mail address is valid, and it’s then sold to people to send you spam. Just click on the X in the upper right hand corner to close the e-mail, then delete it.
Good catch. Here's a star for you, dimandja.
[2thumbsup]

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Perhaps you should include some hardware tips.

Listen to your hardware!
Know the sounds the fans/drives normally make if those noises change(or worse dissapear) let me know.

dont block the little holes on the side/back/front

if it is to be it's up to me

infinitelo, not a bad thought, but I'll have to figure out wording. Refer to previous post about PEBCAM. Most of my home clients are elderly, or just don't have the patience to learn the sounds. I need to put something in about back-ups. Someone mentioned it to me, and I can't give them credit for it right now because I'm brain dead currently. Thanks for the input.

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Greetings,

I would have reboot the machine as the first step... My clients all know, reboot then call....

Works for me.

Marc

Here it is gang, let me know what we should change, or if it's good as is. I have it down to two pages, that's the best I can do.
1)At first, re-boot.
If you have a system problem with the computer, such as it’s locking up or getting slower and slower, re-boot the machine. If it is locked and you can’t shut it down, press the power button to turn it off, then turn it back on after 10 seconds. (Disclaimer, this is not a good thing to do. Usually it will want to run check disk to see if your hard drive is damaged, allow it to do so.) If the problem isn’t solved by re-booting, or recurs later, contact a professional. Do NOT re-boot if it’s a software problem, such as spell check in Word doesn’t work.
2)Always have anti-virus software installed, running and up to date.

3) Allow critical updates to be down-loaded from Microsoft.
As the Internet gets more and more complex, more and more ways of attacking a computer via the Internet are being created. Microsoft now has an option to download any fixes to vulnerabilities which they call Critical Updates.

4) Run a program that hunts down spy’s on your hard drive. There are programs that are invisibly downloaded on your computer that will monitor what Internet sites you are visiting and send the information back to the company that installed them. This is called spy-ware. One of the best removal tools is located at Spy-Bot Search and Destroy. It’s free and you can find it at Donations are not necessary, just asked for.

5) Don’t use the preview pane in Microsoft outlook or outlook exchange.
Using the preview pane while viewing your e-mail is very handy, but it’s the same as opening an e-mail. At one time, someone discovered a flaw in the Outlook system, where they could infect your machine just by opening an e-mail, not attachments. This was called VBS/BubbleBoy. The flaw was fixed, but there may be others discovered later, so better safe than sorry.

6) If you receive an error message, make a copy of it.
Just by pressing PrintScrn on your keyboard, you make a snapshot of it, you can then go to Start, Run, type in “WordPad” without the quotes and press enter. At the top select Edit, and then from the drop down, choose paste. You can print this out for a technician to use later to help troubleshoot the problem.

7) If you receive an e-mail from a company and at the bottom it asks if you want to be removed from the mailer, don’t do anything.
This is a method spammers use to find valid e-mail addresses. They send out tens of thousand of these, and when someone clicks “Yes” or “No”, they know the e-mail address is valid, and it’s then sold to people to send you spam. Just click on the X in the upper right hand corner to close the e-mail, then delete it.
8) Always make sure you have a good back-up.
It doesn’t matter if you’re working with a file, a computer or a server. Make sure you always have valid backups. This can save you endless amounts of time and money.

9) Create and use passwords that won’t be able for others to figure out.
Hacking passwords today is second nature to some people. They can use a back door and run a dictionary hack. This is a program which will use every word in a dictionary automatically, and if your password is in the dictionary, this will allow the hacker to break into your computer remotely. A good password is something that is easy to remember, and not associated with any word in the dictionary. Ih3C@htLm. This is a great password. I have 3 cats @ home that Love me. All you have to remember is that the 1st letter of each word creates the password.
10) Learn your machine
Learn the sights and sounds of your computer. If the monitor starts to dim, or there is a funny sound coming out of the back of the machine, pay attention. You may want to call someone if your computer starts groaning or whining. It could mean something inside it going bad.

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

I'd make a few changes to wording above:
2) "live-update" sound like a Norton product.
I'd phrase the paragraph:
A good anti-virus program should be able to scan incoming e-mails, delete the infected e-mails and then notify you what the program has done. On a weekly basis, you should use the tools to connect to the company's website to retrieve the latest protection so that your checker can find the latest viruses.

4) Run a program that hunts down spyware on your hard drive.

I would also add to the end: "This is different to viruses in that is does not try to replicate itself without your consent, but may slow down web browsing or transmit personal information out to possible hackers.

5) The program is called Outlook Express rather than Outlook Exchange.
For people using the Eudora email client, I have written an FAQ on how to lock that down in the Eudora forum on this site here:

7) I would add:
It is possible for spam emails with embedded graphics to identify valid accounts by referring to remote servers, so if you use Outlook Express or a web based system such as Yahoo or Hotmail, set it to not display HTML graphics by default. If it is a legitimate HTML email, you can always click the "View graphics in this email" link.

8) Add to this: Remember that to be truly secure, the backups must not be stored on the computer that they are backing up, but preferably in a different building. Keeping them in the same building will account for disk failure, but unless they are off site, you could lose data if the house burned down, for example. A good strategy is to swap backups with trusted friends and relatives.

10) I would also add, "Take note of unexpected changes, eg system slowdown, funny error messages, dial up confirmation boxes coming up when they didn't before".

John

Good thougts. I'll make some changes. Stupid mistake on Outlook Express. I use it on my laptop. Brain fart. This is almost starting to look like a faq. Think we should post it somewhere? (Here's a star John.)

Glen A. Johnson

TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

If you are talking about securing email, then you should add that users should open mail in plain text not html, and block http from email at the firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back