Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temporarily Change the Default Email Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb178

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2001
US
Is there any way to do that? This is why I want to do this:
Some people in my company have two email accounts, administered by two different IT groups. The account which we connected over the internet to an exchange server, has had ports blocked so we need to use a POP or IMAP account. I would like to use the IMAP account, so everything can stay synchronized. Outlook apparently won't let you have an Exchange Account and an IMAP account set up in two different profiles.
I have code in an access database, in quite a few places, where an email can be sent by the click of a button. I'd like to be able to tell Access to use Outlook Express and not the default client, Outlook. And, since the exchange account in Outlook is the more important one, I don't want to change the default email client permanently.
Is there any easy way to do this? Or would a total code re-do be in order? (I've searched the forum already on this, and found a MAPI solution, but that would be time consuming than I'd like this to be)
Thanks,
Kristen

If it is feasible(meaning there are no problems with making registry changes on client computers), you could make a registry change to set up OE as the default client, then change it back to Outlook after your program is done. There are many examples on this site about how to change a registry key, so I won't go over it again here(do a keyword search), but the key that I think you are looking for is:
HKLM\Software\Classis\mailto\shell\open\command
Here is what my key looks like with Outlook as the default client:
"C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"
(Yours will differ depending on the version of outlook you are running...may be a problem if your clients aren't all running the same version of Outlook))
Here it is with OE:
"%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /mailurl:%1

Hope this helps...

It sounds like I might just make it easier on myself I start loading our recently purchased Office XP upgrades (which allows for an exchange server on one profile and an IMAP account on another).
Thanks for the help...
-Kristen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back