Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper1777

Programmer
Dec 3, 2003
GB
Hi,
I am fairly new to visual studio web development, I can do the back end (C# and VB) stuff OK, but I am having some problems with the Web Page Development.

Simply, is there any way I can develop a template that I can use to base all other pages on. But can still be dynamically updates when needed. I don't want to use frames.

This site is a good example, each page you go on has the same top left and bottom. But depending if you are logged in your get a different Left side.

Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanx!

Dave Shaw

Apart from the html frameset I dont know any other way.
I use the MasterPage.master to handel this issue, but you can only find this on VS 2005 .NET Framework 2.0

You can use page inheritance to do what you need. You basically build a class which inherits System.Web.UI.Page, and then make each page inherit this class.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Thanks. I thougth I had seen it somewhere before. I am sticking with VS2003 at the moment but now you mention it I do remeber seeing it in VS2005.

Thanx!

Dave Shaw

Here's an example of how you can implement page inheritance in versions prior to 2.0 of the framework (i.e. before master pages):

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back