Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Templates - what don't I understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iemproductions

Programmer
Jan 30, 2002
US
am i missing something when it comes to report templates?

i created one and realized through trial and error that each field on the report requires its own template field, even if 2 fields on the report have the same data type.

i also figured out that the template fields have to be in the same order as they report that the template will be applied to.

if i'm right, i can't see the purpose of creating a template from scratch unless for example, you would have a few reports that have the same exact layout, just sorted on a different field or something like that.

i'm curious if there is something about templates that i'm missing or don't understand.

thanks

What Crystal means by a 'template' is not what I'd expected. In Word, for instance, a 'Template' is a document with some features already set up, so that you can start with some of what you need. But in Crystal, it adds a style and layout to something that already exists.

My solution has been to create dummy reports with some of the basics set up. I open these and then use 'Save As' to start the new report with basic details set up.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

synapsevampire - i'm using cr xi.

madawc - i agree with you, templates aren't what i was expecting. i posted the message to see if i had missed the benefit of using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back