Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Templates just messed up my links and image paths

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkymonk

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
GB
Hi,

I am using DW3 and about a month ago I rebuilt my companies web site as we changed our brand. For this I decided to use templates as I ran into a few problems with updating the last site.

Up until today this has proved to be an excellent function of DW and seams to have worked perfectly, until now.

I have just had to update a part of the site that is consistent throughout. I have done this before, all the time as I was building it, and not had any problems. This time though, after updating all the pages that are linked to that template, all my images are missing and only some of the links work.

What seams to have happened is that all the pages have been updated as though they are in the same location as the template, not in their actual location (I use directories for the different sections of the site as do most people I guess).

Can anyone tell my why this may have happened? I really don't want to go through every page and change every path of every image, as that is a massive job and is also why I used templates in the first place.

Thank you from a bemused DW user.
funkymonk2.jpg

funkymonk@blueyonder.co.uk

One thing I'd like to add to this is that the pages (not the templates) when opened in DW seem ok. That is that all the images are there.

So I am now more confused than ever as, offline, the images are still not being displayed in the web browser.
funkymonk2.jpg

Ok, (ever get the feeling your talking to yourself?) LOL

Anyway, the problem stated above has, miraculously, fixed itself. I'd like to say that I did it but I didn't, I have no idea what went wrong this morning with the wonderful DW3...

I do have another problem though and it still seems to be connected with DW and templates and it goes like this:

I have a couple of graphics that are button-sized banners in the left nav (un-editable) section of the template. They were there before all this started but I have since moved them down below another layer that holds a table with text in it. Oh, I also deleted one and replaced it with another the same size. Now only one of them shows up (No idea why the other is not showing up) but it's not in the same position as it is in the template, it's either too high or low etc.

Anyone know anything about this? Maybe I should sit here and curse it for a couple of hours then it may fix itself. And hey, why not? It worked with the other problem....
funkymonk2.jpg

LOL

Sorry never use templates in dw. I use includes so if I change something I also only have the one upload to do not everypage, over 1000 on our intranet

Cheech The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

Yeah, this is my first time with them. They are great compared to updating all the pages maually, what a drag that was.

Anyway, I should have come back earlier as I sorted the problem by putting the missing and moving images into the table above (stupid for not doing that in the first place really...)

Thanks for the reply though, thought I was here all by myself for a while.

PS. Includes? Is that the server side stuff in DW..?
funkymonk2.jpg

Yep I have mx but have been a keen user of Ultradev for a couple of years now.

Cheech The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back