Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Template Help - user input displayed in multiple fields in same doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gronsky

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
US
I'm new to doing this so please be gentle.

Using Word 2000, I have a document where I use;
{MACROBUTTON NoMacro[Click here and type A.D.'s name]}

elsewhere in the document I have;

Any questions please feel free to ask ??????????????

Where ????????????? is the value that the user types in the[Click here and type A.D.'s name]field.

Is there any way to do this where ?????????????? is updated automatically?

I hope this was clear.

Hi,

You could do this by bookmarking the macrobutton field plus at least a space on each side. You would then use a REF field (eg if the bookmark's name is BkMrk your field code would look like {BkMrk}) to display the result. Two things to note, though:
1. The REF field's output will also have a space either side; and
2. The REF field doesn't automatically update - you need to do a print preview, save/close/open, Ctrl-A then F9, or print of the document to get the fileds to update. You could also use a macro for this purpose.

You could also use an ASK field to create a bookmark that you can then display wherever via a REF field, or a bookmarked FILLIN field. Both of these have the advantage of not requiring surrounding characters to maintain the bookmarks, but neither of these give the same on-screen prompts, requiring a field update action to trigger them and ASK fields don't display their results unless you couple them with a REF field. Switching off the ASK & FILLIN field updates can also be problematic.

Ultimately, you might find a form field (which is yet another approach) would be the best solution.

Cheers

Thanks macropod,

After I posted my question I returned to my document and discovered the bookmark method. It does the trick for me.

Thanks for your reply.

gronsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back