Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temperature problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IvYmmx

Technical User
Sep 26, 2003
US
ok, i just finished installing my new processor and motherboard, heres the specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ w/ 333 mhz FSB
GigaByte 7n400L motherboard w/ nforce2
512 MB DDR 333
GeForce MX 420
450 Watt PSU

ok, well my problem is that whenever i try to run a game like Counter-Strike for example, shortly after i connect, i get an error and it shuts down. sometimes IE will ocasionally create an error and shutdown. i just updated my bios to check the temperature readings as i have read that the original bios with nforce2 mobos tend to exagerate temperatures. now, when idle, my cpu is at 47C and the system is at 31C. Is this abnormally high or low for this config? i'm using the heatsink that came with the processor and i've applied AS3. I do have a small case with one case 1 on the back so maybe i have an airflow problem. any help would be much appreciated

Hi there. No, nothing wrong with those temperatures from what I can see. I use an Athlon 2700+ (non-Barton core) and I am just slightly warmer than that, so, I don't think it's a temperature issue.

Is your memory generic or namebrand?

its KBYTE, so i think its a namebrand as i see it all around

also, it would appear to be a heat issue. when i turn the FSB down to 100 mhz and run counter-strike, i have no problems, might it be the airflow, or the probe on my mobo exagerating the temperature yet?

The FSB value should be 166...was this what it was before?
and did you also make sure that your ram is set to the same frequency as the proc?

- Trevor
CCNA, CCNT, A+, NET +

I also think it is a RAM issue. Turn down the timings and make sure it is "synced" with the FSB.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

ok, check the screenshot, i think i got the settings right. its still coming up with errors, and i'm wonedering if the heat is a bit high or low considering i'm using stock heatsink. also, my powersupply has an internal and external fan, but in EasyTune it shows that the fan isn't working, even though i can see and hear it.

if you zoom in you can see the voltage and temperatures.

going to have to copy and paste URL, got it working now, turned down the frequency a mhz or two and now it works fine :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back