Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tempdb ldf file - how best to clear..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCL2007

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2007
US
I have a Tempdb transaction log ldf file that grew to 55 GB yesterday (on SQL SERVER 2008 R2). I think I found the offending job that was causing it and killed it - ldf was growing pretty rapidly up to that point. Not too experienced with this - what are my best options to clesr it out? Stopping the SQL Services and rebooting would work correct? Database is set to Simple so not really sure why ldf was growing so much......
Are their other ways without getting too involved to clear it without bringing down services?
Thanks,

Databases don't get smaller on their own. If your database was originally set to full and then was later switched to simple, the size won't get smaller. You need to shrink the database to make the file size smaller. If you are using SQL Server Management Studio, just right click on the database, click tasks and then shrink database. This should recover the unused space.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back