Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temp file created by Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantoKing

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
GB
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right forum, but it's a jet problem so thought I'd try here first.

MS Access creates a file Jetxxxx.tmp in the C:\temp file. this is created whenever ms access is opened. However a system that I have recently taken over support of has a huge amount of data to process. When this processing takes place this .tmp file grows to over half a gigabyte. Our desktop machines are restricted to 2 gig on the C: drive and have 1.5 gig in OS /system files. Therefore the system cannot be run and is showing an error message as this .tmp file will not fit on the C: drive when it gets to this size. Any suggestions on how to fix this or to move the tmp file so that it is not on the C: drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Make things as simple as possible — but no simpler. [pc3]

Have you tried to change the values of either TMP or TEMP (or both) environment variables ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

I can see a problem if you move the .tmp file away from the C: drive - e.g. to a network drive. This would slow the system down massively, as your (very large) .tmp file would then be created / amended across the network.

If the 2 Gb C: drive restriction is imposed by the network administrator, rather than being the physical size of the disk, can you get this limit changed?

The only other solution, may be to look at the database design to see why the .tmp file is so large - have you tried splitting the database to see if this has any effect? Also, I'm not sure whether running Compact and Repair would influence the size of this file - but worth a try?

Bob Stubbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back