Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telneting linux to Unix - Messed up Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony500

MIS
Mar 20, 2002
US
I use mandrake 8.1 and telnet to an HP unix server on a LAN. When I telnet in, my environment is messed up. When I run commands such as `ls -l` it is a sideways, out-of-line mess. What is the best way to make the TERM on the Linux box match the TERM on the HP Unix box? (and is that the problem?)
I'm using a standard shell from the linux desktop.
I've tried to use the command:
export TERM=vt100
also: vt220, vt320.
I've tried each of those emulations both before and after telneting. No luck. Its all slanted and I can't backspace or anything. I'm just telneting from the linux prompt. Everything looks fine in linux, but when I telnet to Unix and login it goes bad. I can telnet in from Windows and I don't have this problem, but who wants to use Windows?! I don't know what else to do though...
I tried Gnome also, but it didn't help and working from the command line yields the same results.

Has anyone out there ever dealt with this before? You can usually find me at

What you need is a termcap and/or terminfo on the HP that actually matches what your Linux box is. See if you are unclear about this.

As to getting a Linux termcap or terminfo that actually works well, that's sadly another story. I've seen various claims forom numerous people that they have a working solution; I've found none of them to be perfect- there's always problems somewhere- however, you can surely do beter than what you have.

In theory you would just extract the "linux" entries from your Linux termcap and /usr/lib/terminfo.src, transfer them to the HP, run tic, do a little stty to fix up the intr and backspace and that would be the end of it. In practice- well, as I said, results vary.

I did have excelent luck with a beta version of a Linux terminal emulaator from Powerterm. I understand they are releasing that soon- that actually lets you emulate a terminal that your HPO may be more happy with.

If you use and search for "linux terminal" you'll find a lot of related information including termcaps etc.
Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

vt100 is usually a safe bet in these circumstances :(
putty (ssh/telnet client for windoze) will run perfectly in wine so you could try that if you get desperate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back