Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet with XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
How do I install telnet on XP home? I know it only comes with XP Pro.

1) Is it possible to copy some files from XP Pro over to XP Home just to get the telnet service going.
2) If it is possible, any idea which ones.

I can get open ssh to work but it screws up my cygwin stuff so I prefer not to use open ssh.

I have xp home and telnet is there. Have you tried the telnet command? It works for me....

I can telnet out but nothing can telnet in because the telnet server is not running. What I'd like to know is what files I need to bring across from XP Pro to get XP Home to act as a telnet server.

Go into C:/WINDOWS/System32, and copy tlntsvr and tlntsvrp.dll to the System32 folder of XP Home. Restart (Home) then go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, and see what it says about Telnet. Start this service, and before any of this, see what it says about Telnet, so you can compare before and after. Never did this, so let me know.

Tim

I've copied the files across and started the service but when I try to connect to it, it says that my user has to be part of a telnet users group, same as XP Pro. Only thing is that on XP Home, there is no facility to create a new group. Guess it is time to mess about with regedit. I'll keep you informed.

Microsoft might have their legal people listening too? Perhaps upgrading to XP PRO should be mentioned here.

NCS AccountView - Windows account manager

NCS AccountView is a power tool for 2000/XP/2003 account management. In addition to the standard account management functions, it offers the option to create Groups in Windows XP Home Edition, as well as management of hidden accounts. It also allows you to restrict login based on time of day (e.g only allow user to login during business hours). Additional features include account import and export, display of SID for each account and more.

Thanks for the info. Unfortnately it came too late - I've messed up my registry big time. Guess it is time to reinstall.

I'll install XPHome and try the NCS stuff to see whether I can get it to work, just in case I have to do it on another machine. Then I'll wipe it and install XP Pro. Seems like quite an effort just to be able to telnet into a machine. MS really ought to have had telnet server as standard on XP home.

Probably too late to save your bacon but have you tried System Restore?

There is this too.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched. The trouble is by the time you get to this stage, a lot of registry corruption may be saved and carried across (by the repair) leaving you only the option to restore from backup (what's that!) or a clean install after a format.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

When messing with registries this can be a life saver.

Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/XP

And to answer your question about why Telnet server and other servers were not included in XP Home, Microsoft wanted some extra cash (they obviously need it) so they invented XP PRO and charged an extra few hundred dollars for it.

I normally partition my drives: one for everything installed and one for everything created and I have little scripts that change the registry so that things like Outlook Express mail and the address book get saved in the created partition. Rebuilding the system isn't such a nightmare.

I've tried creating the system on top of itself. It gets really messy in some places. Sometimes it goes so far and then decides there isn't enough space and dies on you. Then you're completely screwed.

Maybe I should have just gotten a version of ssh that was compatible with my current cygwin & fortran compiler. There is ssh on the current cygwin but not in the installation I have. Guess it is time to upgrade.

There isn't much to install anyway: only Windows, Acrobat, Office, Visual Studio, Cygwin and Firefox. These 6 packages will keep me entertained for years.

I normally use Red Hat. It is a quad boot machine where I switch between the operating systems depending on the mood of the day.

Cool! I triple boot with SuSE, 2000 Advanced Server and XP Pro. I do some stuff with Cisco Access Control Server on the 2000. Linux I'm trying to learn---YAST seems to be very entertaining. Later.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back