Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet to run commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

headrush

Technical User
Jul 10, 2002
US
I have telnet enabled on a windows 2003 server. I have remote users connecting to the server to run a custom command line application. I added their security group to the local telnet group to allow them to connect but when they run the command it just hangs. I then added them to the local adminstrators group and it works fine.
What permissions needs to be granted to allow telnet users to run command line applications without being in the administrators group.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It depends on what those commands are. If they administrator-level commands then they would need to be admins on the box. If they were simple commands like DIR or COPY, then they could do it with regular user rights. It doesn't matter how they're trying to execute the commands, it only matters what the commands do.

Gotcha. I think they are admin level commands so the only way to go is to add the users to the admin group. Thanks very much for your response.

Never add "users" that are not admins to any admin group. Find out what exactly the commands they are running and/or trying to get to and give then permissions to those resources/files. Nothing more! You shouldn't be to suprised how fast someone with admin rights can tear up a server.

BridgeRe is right here.
Adding all the users who use your command line application to the admin group is a big security risk.
A better way is to create a service account and add that serice account to admin group.
Then use your command line application to run as that service account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back